RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Is it too late?

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Snicklefritz 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2 y/o chessie. Well, he likes to retrieve, but i have problems getting him to sit, heel, and stay. is 2 years too old to train him? if not, what can i do to make it easier. its my first time trying to train a dog so i hope i'm not in over my head. thanks for any help.

#3 ·
Drakehaven is right. Go slow. Teach one thing at a time, sit first. Make sure he gets each thing really well before moving on. Make it fun, and have fun.

tt

#5 ·
Just treat it as if you have a puppy and start building your foundation from the ground floor.... Be patient and don't expect that because he's an adult, he will learn quicker than a puppy.

In some ways, the progress may be slower as he has habits, routines, and life experience that are engrained into his mind. New rules and new expectations may take longer to create than with a clean-slate puppy.

Enjoy!

#6 ·
Be very patient. Read up on the breed, bigtime, and you'll have a fabulous dog.

Don't raise your voice during training. Chessies can be quite soft, and may shut down on you, if you take to hollering at him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.