The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its official!

Default Its official!

We have sent in a deposit on a chessie pup to be whelped about Dec. 6! I approached this idea with a lot of skepticism, but I am sure that my husband, (the one who lost his lab to me) is a case of the right dog for the right person. I am going to have a ton of questions, whats new, and its really not my business!

First, what are the issues in shipping a pup in January/February from Maine to SC?

Should the new pup meet my 2.5 year old BLM in the house, in the yard, crate to crate, whatever? My dog is not aggressive at all, but will he resent the newcomer? He had visitors many times, the youngest being a 7 month old poodle that he did just fine with. That one stayed 3 weeks and no problems.

Oh dear, I feel new momma syndrome coming on. I will gracefully, (try) accept any suggestions or advice!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

well congratulations!!!!

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

First problem that comes to mind is the temp on the ground at Bangor or what ever town pup will be flyin out of. Its been a few years since we flew a pup but the airlines have restrictions on shipping pups in temps that are too low or two high.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Bob, thats what I was worried about. Should we plan on a road trip??
    Carol,

one point from me...limit as much as humanly possible -------resource guarding!!!!!!!! feeding toys anything the older dog values.
    Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.

My dog values nothing but retrieving and crawling under the covers for bed! He could care less about toys or food, but he is quite , how shall I say, active?
    Carol,

Congratulations on the new pup.

I can't comment on the transportation part, but do know that you need to introduce them slowly. Give each one his/her space. Don't let the pup become dependant on or too submissive to the older dog. Feed them separately. Have them sleep separately. Train them separately. Most of all, discipline them separately.

This pup has a chance to be better, simply because of what you learned with your other dog.

ml

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

According to Yahoo, its about 18 hrs from Beauford to Pittsfield(Moshers place, thats where the 01 ACC specialty was). It will be a bit less if you don't go thru NYC but rather go around. subtract time spent at LL Bean in Freeport Me and if you need a bargain on booze you must stop at the NH Mass border to that gigantic discount liquor outlet.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Banned

Carol, puppies can get away with just about anything as long as they are puppies. The real challenge will come when your pup approaches social maturity at around 15-18 months.

Still, I would introduce them on neutral ground first, then take them home. When you get home, try and provide a 'safe' place for your current dog - a place where he can go, (maybe up on the bed LOL), to get away from the pups incessant puppiness.

Try and give your current dog and your puppy praise and affection at the same time whenever you can. Don't give your puppy special privledges just because he's a puppy. Don't give your puppy privledges you'll have to take away later.

Nature is nature - don't leave the two alone and unsupervised until you are absolutely certain they are safe together, and then only briefly. But, do allow your current dog to teach your pup how to be respectfully social, and where the pup fits into the social hierarchy. Dogs teach dogs much better than we can.

I'll shut up now.

Don't forget about that Obedience class you were thinking about doing with Indy.You can start the Chessie in puppy classes not long after you get him too.Being in those classes will help them both at home together.I keep waiting to hear about Indys' first day at school.