The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC police strike again GDG

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Default PC police strike again GDG

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316939,00.html

A steak shop owner in Philly in trouble for English Only policy. What a crock
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Personally, I wouldn't eat at Geno's because I'd be afraid of having a heart attack before I had time to pay. However, Joey Vento is a very colorful character who revels in his xenophobic view of the world and his belief that the borders should have been closed as soon as his own relatives got off the boat. That said, his restaurant is definitely a wonderful part of the character of South Philly.

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Jeff is the picture of a cop on the restaurant a tribute to Danny Faulkner, the officer Mumia Abu Jamal murdered?
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

I believe so. I shot the photo at about 5:30 one morning as they were preparing to open. I was stopped at the traffic light across the intersection, got out, and rested the camera on my car while shooting the picture. The next week, four people were shot by gangs in the neighborhood. I gave Joey a copy of the photo.

This is AMERICA!! If you want to live here great!! Learn the English Language! It should be one of the stipulations of becoming a U.S. citizen! JMO Kevin

AMEN, Kevin!
    <--- Dooey, MH
    MHR Duckmates Fly Guy MH 05/17/94 - 07/17/08 "Flyboy"
    Candlewood Court Magician JH 1/31/02 - 8/2/12 "Magic Man"

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by keskam View Post
    This is AMERICA!! If you want to live here great!! Learn the English Language! It should be one of the stipulations of becoming a U.S. citizen! JMO Kevin
    Actually, it is one of the requirements for becoming a U.S. citizen, with some exceptions based on age. I was born in Tennessee and moved to Switzerland and Italy when I was 12. Few things embarrassed me more, as an American, than watching American tourists walking into shops or restaurants, making no effort to speak the local language, and simply speaking louder and louder when they were not understood. A typical comment was "Well, if they want my money they better speak English." At the same time, while I was still trying to learn French and Italian, I necessarily sought out those places where I was able to find an English-speaking person to help me, and I was grateful to those who did.

I don't care if Geno's serves non-English speakers or not. Personally, however, I think trying to help out people with language barriers is simply a matter of good manners. When I travel to other countries where I do not speak the language, I am happy to say that I seldom have problems finding well mannered people even when they have nothing to gain from helping. Fortunately, I think the same is true in this country and that the intentional rudeness of Geno's is the exception, not the rule.

My family (just like Genos, I'm guessing) got off the boats legally.

In particular, my family borrowed money which wasn't repaid for about 30 years (we found the thank you receipt from the loaner in Germany after a family member died). My family sacrificed being together to immigrate over a 10 year period. My grandfather did not even see his father until he was 10 when the last of the family was able to get to America.

They became Americanized quickly even tho they lived in a big German neighborhood. They wanted to be successful, to be Americans, and to contribute. Speaking english is instrumental to that happening and still should be.
    When it quits being fun...we retire!

Nancy Neipert with
    Skeeter, my avatar (Deepwoods Off and Fly'n High, MH, MNH, MN09,10, 11.
    Gypsy (Windigo Deja Voodoo Gypsy Pearl, D List, QAA, MH) MN10 & to MD11
    Mary (Stellars Proud Mary) first Lean Mac dog
    Ted (Deepwoods Spirit of the Wild), now the baby & Suzie's grandson...
    Suzie (Watermarks Slough Foot Sue, MH, 2000-2011 - Farewell dear companion)

I went to Geno's on a recent biz trip up that way. (and yes Jeff, you are right, more than one visit would cause a need for some time in cardiac icu). I think the little signs are just a typical example of overreacting to the relaxation of immigration rules. We now have spanish language tv, instructions on everything you buy, etc. Its just a cheap slap back at the laws that have allowed this.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

My maternal Grandparents, fresh off their pre-arranged marriage, migrated from Greece to the US in the 20's via Ellis Island. My grandfather; tough, brutish, mean SOB that he was, would not allow my grandmother to speak Greek in front of the kids. Neither my mother nor any of my aunts and uncles were able to speak any more Greek than a few curse words and food. Greeks were considered "dirty" back then, and my grandfather was determined for the family to fit in. "We're in America, we'll speak English" he'd tell my grandmother. My mother was born in Helena AR, and grew up in Greenwood MS, further evidence that they were determined to not go the easy route and simply make due via odd jobs in a northeast US Greek berg.

I have no sympathy for the ILLEGAL immigrants in this country. Last I checked, there are still ways to enter this country legally. They can take their: "You've got to help me because I'm here now" attitude right back where they came from, and if they want to try again, LEGALLY, then welcome, and God bless you as you as you work to earn your citizenship!
    Last edited by Mark Littlejohn; 12-16-2007 at 08:10 AM.