The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Virus (dog not people or computer)

Default Virus (dog not people or computer)

Merry Christmas!

I got home last night after being gone about 3 hours and Carbon (Almost 2 year old golden) had thrown up and pooped all over the room he was in. Started out slightly formed and progressed to liquid.Threw up about 4 times-that hard to clean up slimy stuff. I walked him after cleaning up and straight liquid. Called the ER, he would not have been seen for a few hours due to HBC and other emergencies (his was on the low end since he was not still throwing up) so I gave him a metronitozole (sp) and liquids. He threw up once more 2 hours later and then was ok. I stayed up until 3 am, checked on him ever 1/2 hour.
    So this morning (7:45) no stool, no more throwing up.Another metronitozole. A little slower than usual, but bright eyed and skin pulls back ok. He kept down chicken broth with a few bits of rice. I gave him pumpkin a little while ago, he is a little slow but seems to be getting better. He has burst of energy and then is tired.Not barking, and he is the guard dog. We will be at the vets in the am, or if I get home in a couple of hours and he has been sick again.
    I scooped the yard yesterday, so know there nothing there, he chewed up some foam but he shreads and leaves it, and that he was throwing up and had a liquid stool makes me think virus.
    So-I know a couple of your dogs have had this. Do the other dogs get it?
    I am very concerned-I have an 11 year old and a 6 month old and with either of them we would have been at the ER as fast as I could go-too old and too young.
    Thanks for any help!
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.

Banned

For me, its a watch and see. He could have eaten something you didn't see or who knows.

I'd watch for an attitude change. That is HUGE For me. Dogs that are depressed get a trip to the vet.

I'd watch him today and if he gets worse I'd take him to the ER. If he is not better (attitude-wise) in the morning, I'd take him to the vet.

I'm not sure why you are giving the metronidaizole. If the diarrhea continues, I'd give Immodium or an antidiarrheal.

I haven't had great luck with metronidaizole for getting rid of "just diarrhea"......

It could be a virus or bacterial or something else like giardia or coccidia (protozoans I believe). No way to tell without a fecal float.

For my dogs, I worry less about the diarrhea then the vomiting.

WRL

Thanks-
    I am more worried about the throwing up-the other just happens, and my vet has always told me to give metro for this dog-he was prone to stomach upsets, but not in a long time.
    Really good point about attitude, I was concentrating on the physical. Not barking for him is huge. Last night was not fun.
    Thanks again-
    Demi
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.

Demi,
    Please keep us posted! Do so hope Carbon is well soon and Whistler, the little girl child, and Brit don't catch it. Also hope you get some sleep.
    Take Care,
    Becky
    No one can have the part of me I give to my dogs.
    Guy de la Valdene
    For a Handful of Feathers

Thanks Becky-
    I am quite tired and trying to be nice at the family stuff .
    I am not so worried about Brit-figured he would have gotten it at Shermans,so is probably immune, but Poppins (the baby) would get sick very quickly.
    Poor Carbon looks like a starved baby
    Oh well could have been worse, could have had carpet in there
    Christine