The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Historical items--not dog related

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Default Historical items--not dog related

Does anyone have ideas on what to do with clothing items that might have historical significance? What I have is Navy Officer's dress and Navy clothing dating back to WWII. It's in good shape and might be of interest to a museum or something like that.

I also have interesting documents such as letters written during the gold rush. As you can probably guess, we are cleaning out an old home that is FULL of interesting things. It's just that there isn't anywhere to put all this stuff.

On the lighter side, my sister wants to make a shadow box...I think she might have to build a shadow house for all the stuff she's hauled home.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

I'd call the Naval Museum.....I'd have to google it to find it for you - or call the Naval Academy Museum.....can you scan the letters in and share them?

FOM
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by HiRollerlabs View Post
    Does anyone have ideas on what to do with clothing items that might have historical significance? What I have is Navy Officer's dress and Navy clothing dating back to WWII. It's in good shape and might be of interest to a museum or something like that.

I also have interesting documents such as letters written during the gold rush. As you can probably guess, we are cleaning out an old home that is FULL of interesting things. It's just that there isn't anywhere to put all this stuff.

On the lighter side, my sister wants to make a shadow box...I think she might have to build a shadow house for all the stuff she's hauled home.
    State historical society and VFW's.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

We had thought about local museums, but didn't think that VFW or others might be interested. Thanks!
    Bob/Ann Heise

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    I'd call the Naval Museum.....I'd have to google it to find it for you - or call the Naval Academy Museum.....can you scan the letters in and share them?

FOM
    My sister has them. I'll get them or have her give me a copy. She found old letters talking about gold ?nuggets? being sent from Alaska, and that sort of thing. We have all the documents that show the abstract of land that was originally settled by our relatives when they came to the midwest by covered wagon.

I can remember my Grandfather talking about when he was a little boy and where they stayed in their wagons. It's probably only interesting to a handful of people, but it is interesting.
    Bob/Ann Heise

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post

FOM
    My sister has the letters. I'll get them or have her give me a copy. She found old letters talking about gold ?nuggets? being sent from Alaska, and that sort of thing, and has been getting quite a kick out of reading them. We have all the documents that show the abstract of land that was originally settled by our relatives when they came to the midwest by covered wagon.

I can remember my Granddad talking about when he was a little boy and where they stayed in their covered wagons. He'd point out a spot in the middle of a little town that was probably 100 miles from where they settled, and he could show us the hills/trees. It's probably only interesting to a handful of people, but it is interesting.

I googled the Naval Academy Museum and found that website right away. I'll get in touch with our the local VFW and see if they are interested in any of the military clothes and such. Thanks for the good ideas!
    Last edited by HiRollerlabs; 12-30-2007 at 06:43 PM.
    Bob/Ann Heise

Kristie Wilder

I would have to load it up and go to Antique Roadshow! I love that show, but i don't have anything to take there!!

Interesting !!

My Grandfather was in the Navy during WWII
    We have a Japanese rifle with the bayonette that he wrestled away from a soldier while they were over taking a small Japanese freight ship.
    ________
    buy extreme q
    Last edited by DRAKEHAVEN; 02-05-2011 at 05:28 PM.