The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Review of 25 Essential Retriever Training Drills for Handling by Dennis Voigt

Default Review of 25 Essential Retriever Training Drills for Handling by Dennis Voigt

I have just concluded my review of the dvds. It took me four sessions as I wanted to study the drills as I went along rather than just scan through them.
    I think it is outstanding and would give it a five star rating. My head is swimming with the things that I want to get out and do with Rowdy.
    I like the field guide because the sequence, sketch and distances are shown in a notebook that fits easily in my training bag or glove box in my mule. I won't have to make a copy of Lardy's sketches to take with me any longer.
    As I was reviewing the problem solutions section, I was thinking who does this apply to: Rowdy, Hank, Shadow, Bear or Daisy?
    I really like the 3X3 blind concept for teaching and maintenance. The other most important things to me were:
    Breaking down the drills into increments that I could understand (no easy task)
    Explanations of the variants that you might encounter.

I could go on but my hat is off to Dennis for putting together and excellent training video.
    I highly recommend it.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Thanks Wayne for posting the other video. Very helpful and to have Dennis chime. Thank you both.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

My dog and I reviewed a drill on the DVD while waiting for the sun to come up so we could go out and train... Best money I have spent in a while.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Yep. We caught a break in the rain and went to the little park in our development. We did Drill 6, Reverse Lining 7 Bumper Drill.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

What possible drills could there be on the DVD that haven't been used by trainers or covered in Retrievers Online?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    What possible drills could there be on the DVD that haven't been used by trainers or covered in Retrievers Online?
    Guess you gotta get the DVD to find out.

Not sure what that has to do with the DVD? I like it a lot, think it's very well done and does an excellent job of demonstrating and explaining.

It's titled "25 Essential Retriever Training Drills for Handling", not "Secret Drills That Have Never Been Seen Before".

Nicely done, Dennis.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Dennis does an excellent job of showing what he has talked about for years in Retrievers Online.

For example, he shows a 3-peat blind where the first blind is a little rough and by the third blind his retriever really understands the concept and lines the blind. The DVD is not simply about drills, it clearly portrays Dennis's training philosophy and rationale. His 3X3 method (walkaround blinds, 3-peat cold blinds, and returning to old blinds) is excellent.

I especially appreciated his "donut" philosophy of where ideally a retriever should be trained at.

Fourty+ years of retriever wisdom is clear on this DVD!
    Last edited by MissSkeeter; 11-22-2014 at 10:52 PM.

One of my favorite Dennis Voigt articles is the swimby tuneup drill. I believe that may be shown on this DVD.

I look forward to finding out myself!
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    One of my favorite Dennis Voigt articles is the swimby tuneup drill. I believe that may be shown on this DVD.

I look forward to finding out myself!
    Yes it does Chris. I haven't watched very much of it but what I have watched, I really liked. Thanks Dennis!
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    The rookie- Jamstar's Hot Tubb "Cuzzi"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013