The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear

Thread: Can Food Cause Anal Gland/Smelly Dog Issues?

Default Can Food Cause Anal Gland/Smelly Dog Issues?

I fed Pro Plan Puppy to my male lab until he was about 10 months old and really flourished on it. His coat was beautiful, energy excellent, stools seemed perfect and he gobbled it up with enthusiasm.

when it was time to get off the puppy formula, I switched him to Dr. Tim's Kinesis. He never really ate it with the same enthusiasm and about 2 44# bags after the switch he started smelling funny, almost like a puppy smell only much stronger. And then he started really feverishly licking/chewing at his rear. I suspected anal gland issues so took him to the vet and sure enough, his glands were very full and had to be manually expressed. Now, a few weeks later, he's starting to get that smell again and licking around his rear again and I'm wondering if it could be that the food isn't agreeing with him? He has gotten to where he won't touch the food for hours some times, which is unusual for him and is eating grass more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by MNHunter View Post
    I fed Pro Plan Puppy to my male lab until he was about 10 months old and really flourished on it. His coat was beautiful, energy excellent, stools seemed perfect and he gobbled it up with enthusiasm.

when it was time to get off the puppy formula, I switched him to Dr. Tim's Kinesis. He never really ate it with the same enthusiasm and about 2 44# bags after the switch he started smelling funny, almost like a puppy smell only much stronger. And then he started really feverishly licking/chewing at his rear. I suspected anal gland issues so took him to the vet and sure enough, his glands were very full and had to be manually expressed. Now, a few weeks later, he's starting to get that smell again and licking around his rear again and I'm wondering if it could be that the food isn't agreeing with him? He has gotten to where he won't touch the food for hours some times, which is unusual for him and is eating grass more and more.
    I think yes for an answer. I had the same issue with another brand of highly concentrated food. Switched to PP and the issue went away. Just my experience with one dog, but it was cronic until switching food.

Yes!! I've had dogs on really good quality food have issues.

Does the different food you eat contribute to the different qualities of your poop??!!!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

HRCH UH River Joes Cut Em Spud
    HRCH UH River Joes Lil Supa Dupa-Dee
    SHR River Joes Dog With a Peg Leg

My lab had anal glands problems until i put him in a kibble from my vet. I have a schnauzer that went every 2 weeks to have them emptied. I switched him to prescription metabolic food and now he goes in once every 6 weeks. My vet sells a fiber pill or powder to add to their food to make stools more bulky and firm to help express the gland when having a bowel movement.
    RIP Bear.

Since chicken and brown rice were the primary ingredients in the Dr. Tim's that I was feeding, I'm going to switch to a grain free brand without chicken and rice and with a higher fiber content and supplement with canned pumpkin to see if that helps.

i was on PPP and really loved how the dog was on it. i just noticed stinky ears and yeast infections would not go away. talked to vet and decided to go grain free/chicken free and in about a week her ear was noticeably better.