The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transitioning to field and putting hand cast in use

Default Transitioning to field and putting hand cast in use

How do you guys/gals transition your dog to the field after you are done with hand casting (T) work?

My dog knows the single T very we'll but as soon as I take him to a new field he forgets about it, what am I doing wrong?

Look at the Mike Lardy training flow chart on his website. See banner above. It is free and downloadable . You're probably not doing any thing wrong.
    Just a lot more steps in the process IMHO.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 01-17-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    How do you guys/gals transition your dog to the field after you are done with hand casting (T) work?

My dog knows the single T very we'll but as soon as I take him to a new field he forgets about it, what am I doing wrong?
    First of all, you didn't do any thing wrong. Second...the dog is out of his or her comfort zone. Show your dog what he or she already knows. Let your dog understand what is expected from you and be fair about it.

Dogs are situational learners. Teach him what is expected. IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    Pink Lady

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Will the dog leave your side when sent? Will it sit on a whistle when blown? Will the dog move in the proper direction when cast? What are you trying to run ? I assume cold blinds of some sort...Pattern blinds are cold when you first set them up...If the dog will do all the above just be patient and move out with the dog as it get farther from you...If the dog doesn't do the above you have not done enough teaching to ingrain the behavior....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

It's all part of training; moving to new grounds is a step along the way. Like the man said about designing aircraft "Simplicate and add lightness".

In the new area, take the training back to a very simple level and short distance. Heel work, sit to whistle, recall all that stuff. After a couple of sessions progressively turn the knob up a bit and you'll soon be able to do the more advanced stuff. I've seen it recommended that we use five grounds in training, and whilst this is a counsel of perfection for those living in built up areas, I follow it.

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Which program you using? Which training material you following? Did your pup watch the vids?

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

"My dog knows the single T very well but as soon as I take him to a new field he forgets about it. What am I doing wrong?

Running cold blinds is called transition for a reason. There are sequential "steps" and the teaching process should be seamless (small increments). When you "went from T-work to the field" and the dog was "lost", that's a good read that your process was not seamless. Describe what going to a different field means in terms of what the setup was and the rationale.

There are gradual techniques in transitioning a dog to cold blinds off T-work.......pattern blinds, walk out blinds, bird boy blinds and fan blinds are examples.

Is your dog adept in dealing with what "Steve" asked?

Do you know how to teach a 200 yard pattern blind.....without using a white flag or bucket?

edit: Paul, you are so
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 01-18-2014 at 12:41 PM.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH

What Kwick said.....Pattern blinds are next , and then walk around blinds, then easy short , no factored cold blinds following him out, then adding distance, then adding factors, then adding diversions ( you might do diversions in the pattern field before leaving it , but I go back to the pattern field after the dog is running ok cold blinds)
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

OK...I am a bit confuse here. You didn't mention anything about pattern blinds or cold blinds. Maybe the word "Transitioning" is misleading.
    As I get it, your dog knows (T) work, but as soon as you go to another field, the dog forgets what (T) work is...Am I reading this right or am I reading this wrong?

Thanks.