Garmin tri tronics pro 550
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin tri tronics pro 550

Default Garmin tri tronics pro 550

I've been looking into upgrading from my sportdog and getting the pro 550 not that I need all the features like the lights and bark feature as I mainly waterfowl hunt pretty hard and train in the off season. In doing some research I have some concerns, the waterproof ratings on the transmitter and the collar and the 1 year warranty. I like the transmitter setup which is why I was leaning more tword the pro 550, I look at the dogtra edge rt and it seems to have better waterproof ratings and a 2 year warranty Most of the hunting I do is in water and all weather conditions. I'm pretty hard on my equipment and just wanting to make sure I make the right choice and purchase something rugged I realize yesterday there was an e collar thread posted but I thought this was different enough to post
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I like my 550, never had any trouble around water. I've had my system over two years.

I've never had water issues with either...Each 550 and rt have been reliable from day one....Give the edge to rt though for user friendliness....Jim
    Jim Weitzel

The "right decision"to a retriever is generally that decision which feels good or is the most convenient.So its the trainers job to teach the dog that what feels good is that which pleases the trainer.

Cotton Pershall

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Never have or heard of water problems and we hunt pretty hard and I love mine.
    Michael Ott

I have the 550 and like it. No water issues.
    ​~Your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UDX OM1 GO VER RE ACT1 TDI CGC ASCA-CD
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Zen UD GO VER JH (2 SH passes)
    Tara RN (20 months - derby dog)
    Macy (8 months - new addition)
    http://clairedvm.com

I train frequently(at least 2x/week) in the water and love my 550. Never had any issues and ALWAYS get consistent stim level.

Love my 550. No water issues.
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs!

Southern Comforts Aim Small Miss Small- Gunner
    (FC Swift Rivers No Problems MH- Kenny x Moonstone's Dynamite Dallas- Dallas)
    Kerrybrooks Camouflage, JH- Cam
    (Kerrybrook's Lord Byron x Kerrybrook's Hollis)

About 2 months ago, my old Tri-Tronics Flyway went belly up on me, so I did some research and decided to go with the Edge RT for a couple reasons. I wasn't sure I needed all the bells and whistles of the 550. The price was $50 cheaper, which isn't much, but in the end I decided to go with the Edge RT. When I got it, I used it for less than a week before the battery went dead....recharged it, but about a week later, same deal. I got online to see if anyone else was having trouble with their Edge RT and battery life. I found a couple threads on here and read some posts on some web site where quite a few people were having the same trouble. I got the Edge RT at Cabela's, so I took it back. They didn't have any Edge RT's in stock, so I figured I would just pay the extra $50. When I went up to check out, the guy game me an instore credit of $50, so that made the 2 collars the same price, then Garmin (550) had a mail in rebate for $50, so the 550 was actually $50 cheaper. I have to say that I prefer the 550 transmitter to the Dogtra collar. It's not a huge difference but I do like it better. I wasn't sure if I would like the toggle switch to go back and forth between momentary and continuous, but it's not a big deal. Also, if I hadn't been such a tight wad in the first place, I would have spent the extra $50 to get a collar that has a few more bells and whistles.
    You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take

Went from TT Pro 100, smooth transition! upgraded to the Pro Control ...huge disappointment! both my collars wont charge to green, the handheld wont transmit over 100 yards and Garmin customer service is of no help...send it back give us more money and we'll send a replacement!

The stuff worked but not for long!

MO, look at another option.

thanks guys for replying, those were some of the issues I found while researching a lot of people saying they are having problems ever since garmin took over some guys like them some don't my main concern was the water but that seems to not be an issue.i read some guys switched over to dogtra. this will be my first upgrade in an e collar I want to make a good choice that I won't regret because 350/ 400 is a good penny for something that may or may not work.