The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 minutes from retrieving to "should be dead"

After reading the first couple of sentences, I was afraid of the ending. I'm so happy that everything worked out for you and your dog. I hope he continues to improve.

I copied your post and forwarded to to my duck hunting buddies, both those with and without dogs, so that all will benefit.
    If this story saves 1 dogs life, we'll all be happy!

Give Ace a hug and a dog yummie from all of us!
    <--- Dooey, MH
    MHR Duckmates Fly Guy MH 05/17/94 - 07/17/08 "Flyboy"
    Candlewood Court Magician JH 1/31/02 - 8/2/12 "Magic Man"

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Ace lived!
    Ace lived and was also able to compete in FT's this fall and became QAA. Good for you and Ace Matt.
    Jason

Matt,
    An incredible story that ended in a way that I did not expect. Hypothermia is a killer, and it is important that all owners, especially those of us who work retrievers under conditions that lend themself to it, recognize and act on the symptoms observed, and even more importantly, on prevention. Please give Ace a pat on the head and an extra dog treat for me.

Carver

Just goes to show how resilient they are and lucky to see ace alive n well. Anyone hunting jackson county in arkansas should have joe david smiths (newport veterinarian) number......

Yeah that head tilt thing cracks everyone up. He's done it ever since he was a pup. In fact, it ran in several of his littermates as well.
    I think it's a mannerism that starts as a pup. Rizzo did it on long retired guns or flyers or whatever, but you knew he saw that throw-it was kind of neat. The little guy in my avatar is out of his sister and he already started doing it but I haven't gotten a picture of it yet because as soon as he does it he tries to get the camera.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Wow. Really an eye opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Ace lived!
    He sure did...and is having a blast in this year's duck season! 10 days into the Arkansas season, Ace has picked up right where he left off last year, and we are "madder at em' " than ever. I was a little nervous on opening weekend when we had record cold temps in the upper teens, but we played smart and had no issues. Thought I'd post some pics from the first split...anyone notice additional apparel? Thanks again to everyone who supported us. There are some truly awesome people on the RTF.

"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Matt G View Post

Now THAT is an awesome sight!!!

I'm so glad that you posted your experiences...and that everything turned out okay because of your quick thinking and response. Hopefully, all of us who shared your story learned a lot- the world definitely wouldn't be the same without Ace in it!
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

[QUOTE=Matt G;366146]He sure did...and is having a blast in this year's duck season! 10 days into the Arkansas season, Ace has picked up right where he left off last year, and we are "madder at em' " than ever. I was a little nervous on opening weekend when we had record cold temps in the upper teens, but we played smart and had no issues. Thought I'd post some pics from the first split...anyone notice additional apparel? Thanks again to everyone who supported us. There are some truly awesome people on the RTF.
    QUOTE]

Matt -
    How do my dog and I accompany you and yours on a week of duck hunting next year? What a spread!

your experince brought tears to my eyes as i read it. i prayed for you and ace.what an amazing story,god brought into our lives today.god took ace and used him as a tool to touch your heart.in a story of redemtion,that is wonderful.how god desires to be in commucation with us,his children,and you did that today!god used ace to send a phone call to your heart. you picked up the phone,and talked to god,exactly what he was trying to achive i am sure.i thanked him for this story,you brought to us,to have the courage to share it,to have the faith to call on his name,to respond in the most approiate way, for present the evidence that god can use aniamls to work in our hearts and on our relationship with him.i hope one day you can look at this story and say that was the day god lead me back to him.that it would be a point in your life,that you could say,thats the day when it happened.i hope ace recovers into the wonderful retriever you took into the field that morning.
    god bless you,
    rodney