The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 minutes from retrieving to "should be dead"

Glad your dog will be ok and I am glad you learned before it was too late. So many never do. I knew someone that was a critic and said the dog did not need a vest, I pointed out that they did not need a jacket either, but it was much smarter with one. They did not get a vest and I did not hunt with them any more.

Thanks for bumping this to the top again. This is the first time I have seen it. I hope you and Ace are still doing well. Let's all be careful out there.

Thanks for bumping this up, great information to know....Thank God for a happy ending.

OK, how much shivering is normal? My dog wears a vest and he still shivers....

I have been there with a dog that didnt make it...ole Chase, about 5 minutes after my 7th bird. Glad to know Ace has a fighting chance and now your bond will be stronger than ever.
    "Most of the time we spend hunting doesn’t involve shooting or retrieving. A good dog should make that time pass more pleasantly."

Modin's Let'r Buck Jake, JH - Jake

I have a client that is hunting his quite small bitch in upper twenties,and retrieving ducks for up to five people in the blind.She has a vest on that is kinda loose,and the birds are fast and furious.He says after twenty five birds or so she starts petering out ....and starts to go slow or no go on blinds.She is in a dog box on the side of a tank blind.I told him that these conditions are pushing the envelope,and he must be aware of hypothermia.She stays in the home year round.My question to you all is what should I advise him to do? I mean he has a great hunting lodge in Arkansas where these conditions bring tons of ducks and geese.....this is why he has a retriever....She starts out every day rairing to go....but I am worried for her.How many hours should I tell him to hunt her? Dry her after retrieves? Any advise would help.He is concerned and is receptive to advise,yet I cant say I would hunt any of my dogs to this extent....we dont hardly ever have that many ducks,and my main objective would be regarding the dogs saftey,rather than shooting ducks.Thanks

For the present, he should give her plenty of time (10 minutes) between retrieves to build her body heat back up. Also some high carbohydrate snacks. As for time limits, the dog determines that and it will vary from day to day. When she quits retrieving, she is telling you something. If you don't listen, you will end up with a dead dog.

The long term solution for those conditions is to hunt two dogs and alternate the retrieves between them.

(Also encourage bank running when possible)
    Last edited by rmilner; 01-04-2010 at 09:00 AM.
    Robert Milner
    www.DuckhillKennels.com

"When he stood up to speak, battalions of words issued forth from his mouth and scoured the countryside in search of an idea, and when they found one, they swiftly and thoroughly beat it to death." ---- -Anonymous

http://www.goosehuntingchat.com/foru...dog-10120.html

IMO... This should be the sticky !
    Last edited by 43x; 09-15-2011 at 03:46 PM.

I had to skip to the end too. We are human and sometimes we get things wrong, very sadly. I lost a dog too once because I got it wrong. I hope you find peace with yourself for a tragic error of judgement

We all live and learn. Thanks for sharing, so that hopefully someone else doesn't learn the real hard way