The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 minutes from retrieving to "should be dead"

I am so glad he is doing well, and thanks for sharing. you may save another dog.
    I think we all feel guilty leaving the old or injured dogs behind, I just make up for it by taking them on a ride to the bank or coffee shopas they get treats. It is all in the moment.
    I hope he continues to do as well!
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.

Kristie Wilder

Wonderful news. Thanks for the update... Good idea to give him a nice, long break.

What an awesome story and recovery! As I read it I could imagine running thru a swamp with waders and dog. I bet you didn't touch bottom to many times. How cold was the water that day? I might have missed it but I was wondering what the temp was. I have done the same thing a time or two. One time my dog was not liking it very much so I pulled some grass and sticks together and put my blind bag on them then sat the dog on my bag. she was ok after that but now I'm wondering what would have happened if I hadn't done that. Thanks for sharing and good lesson for the rest of us. Good luck

Matt, I just read your miraculous story last night as we had been gone for New Years. I can not thank you enough for posting, as it was a good solid wake up call for all of us that tend to push just a little longer, or take a "slight" risk when in the midst of excitement, be it hunting, testing or trialing. On Monday morning we were dove hunting in a field not even a 1/4 mile from the house where we were staying. It was cool, (50 ish) but my dog was the only one working. I noticed his tongue hanging out quite a bit, and went to the truck to get him some water and realized we had left the bottle at the house. Normally I would have just stopped and run back and gotten it, but one of the guys hit a few birds right then so I let him pick them up. Fortunately, he was fine and I discovered a bucket full of rain water out in the field and was able to let him drink. After getting home and reading your post, I realize how utterly careless it was of me to allow that "one more retrieve". Its the same risk when I let someone tell me, "there are no gators in this pond" anywhere here in gator country. From now on, because of your post, I will hold my ground and make my own decisions based on what is best for the dog, not what looks "ok" at the moment. My husband and I had a two hour discussion last night regarding your story and what we learned from it. I am sure everyone here on RTF feels the same way. Again, I am so happy for Ace's good outcome, and for you. I know how I would feel if I were in your shoes.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I have watched icicles form on my dogs head and ears while sitting and waiting for ducks. Both of us shivering not only from the cold but from the excitement of the hunt. Both of our eyes scanning the sky anxiously awaiting for just one more flight of ducks to arrive. It is during these times that it’s easy to forget that our hunting buddies do have a limit to the cold and that we must pay close attention to them.

Reading your story has brought back the memory of several hunts and made me wonder how close I may have been to the same situation. Thank God for your dogs recovery and thank you for the story I wish you and your hunting buddy many more hunts.
    Tony Allen

Matt

I have been out of town and just got home. I am elated that things turned out.

KC
    Arrow's Cappucino Express MH "Hooter" deceased
    Fetch Express Locomotion RN MH
    Fetch Express Smokey Owl CD RN MH Therapy Dog and Diabetic Aert Dog
    Fetch Express Bravo Zula SH RN NAJ CDX Therapy Dog and Diabetic Alert Dog.

Had lots of good dogs but when one saves your life it is a whole different ballgame!

I delayed reading this thread, because I don't like to be reminded of what bad things can happen to our dogs, however I am now glad I did and I'm glad that everything came out good in the end...with the exception of the entire traumatic experience for you and Ace.
    Thanks for sharing. We're all the better educated for it.
    Muddy Waters Retriever Club

Trails End Goldens

Proudly owned by:
    HR Montana's Golden Retrieves (11/20/99-8/28/07) Miss you sweetheart
    Quake's Tuckin for Cover (01/28/04 - 9/28/05) Hunt em up little buddy.
    HRCH Super Cell Eye of the Storm MH (01/07/06 - )
    Trails End Ms. October (09/14/08)

Matt,

So glad I did not read an terrible ending to what you and Ace endured. Thanks for posting it up so we all can learn, and best wishes for his continued progress.

Mike

Matt,

I have not looked at the forum for a few days and was stunned to see your story! I have copied and pasted it and have it printing right now. Milton is off this afternoon to hunting camp. I have asked him to take this with him as a reminder to all that pass through.
    You have a wonderful way with words and I feel comfortable knowing that you and ACE have a lot of years ahead of you.
    Gwen Jones

Gemstone's Formal Attire ( Tux ) QAA
    Gemstone's Stimulous Bailout ( Cash ) QAA
    Gemstone's Skyy Blue

In Memory
    FC Gemstone's The Raven
    Gemstone's Tyra Banks QAA
    Gemstone's Lotta Boom SH
    Gemstone's Sweet Southern Jazzmine MH

I'm glad Ace is ok,
    HRCH Lavender's Gettin A Tan SH "Tanner"
    Lavender's Red Solo Cup " Solo "