RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

GDG-Airline Discounts for Family Crisis?

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Becky Mills 
#1 ·
A long time ago I heard that airlines would give you a break on the price of a last minute airline ticket if it was a family crisis? Anyone here know anything about that?

Thanks,

Laura

#5 ·
[QUOTE=North

Call the airline direct and request to sspeak to a supevisor. Exp;lain the crisis and ask if it is possible to recieve the lowest fair they offer for 21 day advance purchase. Most if not all will try to help if seats are available. Some documentation may be required.
All airlines offer berevement fairs for immediate family. They all have a different definintion of imediate and will require a copy of a death certificate or other proof of death.

Hope it works out for you. So sorry you need to inquire about it.

#6 ·
It varies a lot by airline. I found USAir to be so uncooperative and unpleasant when my father was dying that I have never flown with them since and never will (previously I flew over 100,000 miles/year with them). The bereavement fares are often no cheaper than regular discount tickets. They are also generally only available after the person has died although my sister did receive a break from Northwest once when my father was ill.

#7 ·
It is worth trying the airline, but I just asked my sisters who flew home when both my parents were dying and to help me after my accident. The only time they were offered a discount was if they provided a death certificate.

Sorry your going through this Laura.

M

#8 ·
Very sorry for what you are going through.

Most airlines do not offer the bereavement discount any more because people were abusing it.

My husband even got bumped from his flight when my father died, and barely made the very public funeral with 5000 people. Airline did not care and there were no other flights offered that day. Lost $1500 on that ticket.

#11 ·
About 10 years ago, Delta gave me a $100 ticket when my dad died. They did not ask for anything as far as a death certificate, etc.

Dunno if they still do it.

Prayers sent for your family.

#12 ·
United offers bereavement fares (will want name of funeral home). They will also give you breaks on fares when you must accompany a seriously ill patient to a location for special treatment (such as cancer). When my mother was battling cancer, I flew her up to Illinois (from WV) & we got one-way fares for 1/2 the price of the round trip fare instead of that outrageously expensive one-way ticket! Ditto when she returned home.

I know folks who have had difficult times with American, much like Jeff's experience with US "Scare".

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.