The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: King Buck part 5 end

Default King Buck part 5 end

After “stubbing his toe” in the tenth series, Buck resumed his flawless performance and continued to blaze through the eleventh and twelfth series. Although two full extra series were mandatory, Buck’s competitors were actually eliminated in the eleventh – an exceptionally difficult three bird land and water test. In the opinion of many Buck performed perfectly in the test that eliminated his challengers.

One of the judges was Dr. George Gardner of Chicago, who commented on his field notes: “Class and style, beautiful line, excellent job!” Anther judge Lewis E. Pierson, Jr. of Waterbury, Connecticut, wrote: “In eleven out of twelve series King Buck was faultless in ever department on land and on the water – marking, bird sense, manners, steadiness, and control at hand and far out. It was so apparent to all by the twelfth series that he was the clear and decisive that I am sure the official announcement came as an anticlimax.”

Buck was active in the field trial campaigns for four years after that, still competing fiercely with younger dogs and established champions. As late as 1957, when he was nine years old, he not only qualified for the National Championship Stake but also completed eleven series out of twelve in the “National” and nearly won another title!

Cotton taking bird from Buck

During his years at Nilo, King Buck finished 73 series out of a possible 75 in seven consecutive running of the National Championship Stake. The only series he failed to complete in those seven “Nationals” were the eleventh series in 1951 contest and the twelfth series in 1957. No other retriever in history has successfully completed 63 consecutive series in the National Championship Stake.

He also completed ten series for handler John Olin in the 1957 National Amateur Trial, establishing a brilliant record of 83 completed series out of a possible total of 85 series in national championship competition, including two consecutive national crowns!

There was one memorable fall day in 1955 retired three challenge trophies at once: the Guy S. Osborn Challenge Trophy, the Midwest’s Field Trial Club President’s Trophy, and the Glenairlie Challenge Trophy. The Osborn Trophy had remained unretired for eighteen years, the Midwest President’s Trophy for twenty years, and the Glenairlie Trophy for about eighteen years. To permanently claim any one of these, an individual owner, kennel or dog was required to win the trophy three times. King Buck did just that, and took all three trophies out of circulation from the Midwest Field Trial Club.

Olin , Buck, Nat. Trophy

But there was still one major honor in store for the famous old champion. In 1959 the U. S. Fish and Wildlife paid tribute to retrievers and their role in waterfowl conservation by requiring that the design of the current Migratory Waterfowl be a retrieving dog at work. Maynard Reece, the famous Iowa wildlife artist whose work had already appeared on two “duck stamps,” came to Nilo and executed a watercolor study of King Buck. That was the winning entry; the 1959 duck stamp was a portrait of old Buck with a drake mallard in his mouth, set against a backdrop of flaring ducks. It was the first time a dog had ever appeared on a United States stamp.

King Buck Duck duck stamp

Whitening about the muzzle, King Buck ruled Nilo kennels for over a decade. In good weather he took the sun on the grassy lawn in front of the retriever quarters, or walked with slow dignity through the big exercise yard with other dogs racing and tumbling about him. And even as his years bore him down, he remained chief champion of Nilo.

He died on March 28, 1962 – just one week before his fourteenth birthday – and was placed in a small crypt at the kennels’ entrance, his statue above him. But that statue marks the formal interment. A writer for the Portland Oregonian, Ben Hur Lampman, knew where the place where dogs such as Buck are really buried:

for if the dog be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, laughing, begging, it matters not where that dog sleeps. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked and trees are roaring, or beside he knew in puppvhood, or in pastureland where exhilarating cattle graze. It is one to the dog, and all one to you, and nothing is gained and nothing lost – if memory lives. But there is one place to bury a dog.

If you bury him in this spot, he will come to you when called – come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they shall not growl at him or resent his coming, for he belongs ther

Crypt and statue

People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who bear no whimper, people who may never have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them. The one best place to bury a dog is in the heart of the master.
    Last edited by Richard Halstead; 10-20-2007 at 03:20 PM.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Excellent and well written story about a great dog.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Richard

What a wonderful set of stories - Thanks for posting!

I couldn't help but notice that like many of the other great ones - this dog was not subject to intense training at a young age. I find that interesting.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Richard-

Thank you. Anyone who can read this without tears in their eyes doesn't understand what having a dog give their all for you is all about.

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Thanks for sharing brother......

How about Buck's prodigy???? Did he produce anything extraordinary???

My grandfather had a dog from Nilo with "Buck" as a grandsire.

Richard
    SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS..........

HRCH Otter Sloughs Bronze Gander

www.ducksloughkennel.com

Romans 8:28

Thank you.

Bucks best offspring was a titled dog Nilo Blacktail Buck
    or the bench Champion Medlin's Cricket who produced six titled dogs when bred to Medlin's Otto of Toothacres
    Last edited by Richard Halstead; 10-20-2007 at 06:04 PM.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

Really Richard, this has been great. Thank you for posting this story.

tt
    mrgd

DISCLAIMER
    "You may not think I'm funny but I do, please don't take anything I say seriously because it's probably not."

Richard,You are becoming "The" Retriever Historian when it comes to who to ask about these great dogs.What a great contribution you've made with all you've done for the rest of us who like to read these stories.
    The other day when you posted the photo of your friend carrying all of those pheasants and it reminded me of my hunt at that fancy gun club.That club was Max McGraws.There is a book called "Hunting Preserves for Sport or Profit",by Edward Kozicky that is dedicated to John Olin in the foreward of the book.I read in there that John Olin was a member at Max McGraws' club(the first club in Illinois) and a friend of Mr.McGraw too prior to starting Nilo Farms.In that book,along with King Bucks story,it talks about who John Olin was and his work in hunting and hunting preserves.There is a good photo of him standing at King Bucks' memorial in his later years.
    I think I read too in Charles Morgans' book that Morgan was the trainer for Freehaven Muscles while Cotton Pershall trained King Buck.I no longer have the Morgan book and I'm going from memory on that.I could be wrong.Richard?
    Great stories,keep them coming.

All I gotta say is "WOW" thanks Richard