The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: current chevy V8 motors

Default current chevy V8 motors

anyone have any experience with the smaller chevy v8, i believe it is a 4.8 liter. i currently have 5.3 with 90,000 miles on it and I am satisfied with it. i'm shopping new tahoe's for my wife and alot of them have the smaller motor. she won't need lots of power because she doesn't tow anything.
    ________
    Rhode island medical marijuana dispensary
    Last edited by pistol; 02-20-2011 at 03:30 AM.

It doesn't seem to have the power of the old vortec's, which it shouldn't because its so much smaller. It's a nice engine though, It's got all the power I'll ever need and it gets darned good gas mileage. At 75mph on rolling terrain on the highway I will get 18mpg+ in my crew cab.

If you're getting one of the 2007+ models, it has some funky little deal where it will disengage some cylinders when you're not under a bind and your mpg will shoot up. I tried one out in a rented suburban and it was really nice.
    May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

I just bought a new body style crew cab 4x4 with the 4.8 and love it. Has enough power for my needs. The 4.8L puts out 295 HP while the 5.3L puts out 315 HP. Not enough of a difference for me to spend the extra money.

thanks for the replies. do you know how long this motor has been in production? i'd like to buy one with a proven track record.
    ________
    MAZDA SAVANNA HISTORY
    Last edited by pistol; 02-20-2011 at 03:30 AM.

I think they are pretty reliable motors. I'm a Ford guy myself, but I think Chevy's motors have all been pretty good the last 15 years or so (since the 350 got fuel injection anyway). I don't like the way the chevy trucks feel like you are driving a car instead of a truck...Fords seem to have the feeling of a little more low-end oomph with their truck motors. Can't complain about the Chevy's fuel economy though...The ford trucks can't touch the Chevy in that category.

In closing, I'd bet that both you and your wife would be pretty happy with a Tahoe equipped with a 4.8 motor. They seem to be a well refined SUV.

Good luck,
    Hunter

Pistol, my 05 Chevy PU has the small V-8. I tow a 19 ft. Ranger bass boat behind it, and can go 75 mph easy on flat freeways. Haven't climbed any hills with this set up though. Without the boat it's a snappy little motor with plenty of power. If you're not intending to tow anything, you couldn't go wrong with the 4.8. My truck gets around 17 or 18 mpg highway, which isn't bad at all. Also, $4 gas prices expected this year, which makes it an even better choice.

H.