The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Warning from the vet

Default Warning from the vet

I was in the office picking up heartworm meds and noticed a large bulletin. Doc asked me to tell everyone I know about this warning:

Please make sure your home/office automatic paper shredder is turned off and/or unplugged! He had an incident a couple of months ago where a dog got her tongue pulled in and shredded.

Simple curiosity and a few licks was all it took. The dog had to be put to sleep.

My parents have one, first thing I do now is check and pull the plug when we go to visit. Since I told them about this, its always unplugged, but I check anyway.

One of those things you might not think about, if it saves one injury, it was worth the typing.

Brad

I saw a similar warning on email and checked it out on Snopes. Apparently dogs and young children are very vulnerable and there have been terrible accidents. Its like playing with a small chain saw in some ways. I am ultracareful with mine, but at home and at the office!
    Chuck

My mother has one at her home sitting on the paper trash can...perfect height for a dog. Never gave it much thought until now...When I visit, I'll make sure it's up and out of the way now. Thanks for the warning.

Kevin
    Muddy Waters Retriever Club

Trails End Goldens

Proudly owned by:
    HR Montana's Golden Retrieves (11/20/99-8/28/07) Miss you sweetheart
    Quake's Tuckin for Cover (01/28/04 - 9/28/05) Hunt em up little buddy.
    HRCH Super Cell Eye of the Storm MH (01/07/06 - )
    Trails End Ms. October (09/14/08)

I know a toddler who lost 3 and a half fingers from one... be careful.

I know a guy who worked at a food processing plant and was severely injured when he put his finger in the pickle slicer. Apparently her huband walked in at just that moment and beat the tar out of him...

sorry, jsut had to , it's Friday afternoon...

A nationally known Agility handler had a dog that lost it's tongue to a paper shredder. As I understand it, he actually managed to teach the dog to drink and eat without it's tongue, but it was a hard row to hoe, and he has to be real careful about the dog's temperature. Watch out for your pups!

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by spaightlabs View Post
    I know a guy who worked at a food processing plant and was severely injured when he put his finger in the pickle slicer. Apparently her huband walked in at just that moment and beat the tar out of him...

sorry, jsut had to , it's Friday afternoon...
    And you spat on the line as you crossed it....

I know, I've spat on it myself.

tt
    Last edited by MRGD; 01-04-2008 at 11:11 PM. Reason: grammar
    mrgd

DISCLAIMER
    "You may not think I'm funny but I do, please don't take anything I say seriously because it's probably not."

Quote Originally Posted by btbrown View Post
    I was in the office picking up heartworm meds and noticed a large bulletin. Doc asked me to tell everyone I know about this warning:

Please make sure your home/office automatic paper shredder is turned off and/or unplugged! He had an incident a couple of months ago where a dog got her tongue pulled in and shredded.

Simple curiosity and a few licks was all it took. The dog had to be put to sleep.

My parents have one, first thing I do now is check and pull the plug when we go to visit. Since I told them about this, its always unplugged, but I check anyway.

One of those things you might not think about, if it saves one injury, it was worth the typing.

Brad

Aww.Poor dog. I also received this kind of mail a few months back. Didnt think of it seriously, but now, I guess I will. Thanks !
    World's greatest stress relievers are pets so give love to your pets...

Quote Originally Posted by pet_peeve View Post
    Aww.Poor dog. I also received this kind of mail a few months back. Didnt think of it seriously, but now, I guess I will. Thanks !
    Had I not heard directly from my own vet, I would have thought it was just another one of those internet/urban legend things. Doc actually let my neice job shadow him the following day, she saw the pictures and said the entire staff was still quite shaken over the whole thing.

Brad

That's why I checked Snopes. That was exactly my reaction, that it was urban legend. But its not, its a real danger. It sure made me change how I managed the shredder location and on/off switch.
    Chuck