The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canine Herpes Virus

Default Canine Herpes Virus

Looking for personal experiences of someone knowledgeable on the subject. I have searched the internet and have not found answers to the many questions that I have. If anyone knows a breeder who has lost puppies due to this, a good reproduction vet, or a researcher who studies this subject please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Danielle

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...infection.html

No experience to this but here is a link that may help with some info.

There was a thread on here the other day about why more bitches are bred. I think it talked about a litter dying of herpes. I had never heard of it. Where do they get it?

I guess I'll read that article.

tt
    mrgd

DISCLAIMER
    "You may not think I'm funny but I do, please don't take anything I say seriously because it's probably not."

I guess it would be bad for a stud to get this as it may pass to many females.
    mrgd

DISCLAIMER
    "You may not think I'm funny but I do, please don't take anything I say seriously because it's probably not."

In horses it is a real threat. If you own many mares and don't vaccinate, you might loose all your foals that year. I live in Germany where we have many horsebreeders and most of them vaccinate nowadays.
    In dogs I don't know but I vaccinated my female Curly both times she had a litter because we now have the possibility to vaccinate and because I was used doing it from the horses. I think vacinating is a lot cheaper than taking the risk.
    Ulrike
    owned by:
    Ch Caballus L'Tiempo WT,BH
    Ch Engadin's Star Agamy WT,JEPs
    Ch.Lucky Curl's Aphrodite WT, BHP, APD/A
    Lucky Curlīs Beatrix JEPs, WCX

What's that on your lip????

If this is the same disease I think it is, it's not a big deal, UNLESS the pregnant bitch is exposed to it shortly before or after she whelps, or litter is exposed before 4 weeks of age. I was told by my repro vet that it's common, and an airbourne virus and most if not all dogs that attend shows tests and trials have it. My bitch had it before she was bred so I don't believe the part about it being a sexually transmitted disease. No lesions are seen unless the bitch is under a stress period and then a 'herpes' lesion is apparent on the vulva area. As long as the exposure is several weeks before the pups are born, her titer will carry to the pups and they will be fine. The reason that the pups die if exposed is failure to be able to regulate body temp at a young age.
    My bitch has it and has whelped 2 litter with no effects.
    When I saw it and was told what it was, it really freaked me out. I searched hi and low for info with litte avail. My vet was very reassuring that it was no biggie and then a friend of mine who works for the Cornell Vet School attended a conference that had several papers on the subject and he said the same thing my vet did.
    Castle Heights Gundogs

Mossy Oak Pro-Staff
    Sportdog Field Staff
    Drake Waterfowl Field Expert
    Buck Gardner Pro-Staff

Thanks for the responses. I have researched the subject for a while now. It does say that most dogs that have been exposed to it already. My main question is since most of them are exposed they should in theory have protection to it to pass on to their puppies. If an older dog gets it who has been around tonnes of dogs during her life(in different kennels, hunt test, obedience etc) but gets the infection when pregnant is it conceivable that she wasn't exposed before and this is a first time being infected or how does the latent stage work. I was reading that they can shed the virus if stressed so is this what would infect the bitches puppies and if so wouldn't the female have passed on some immunity? Really confused on how this works.

Biggest question is how can puppies come down with it if the occurrence is so high in dogs? You would think that it wouldn't cause problems and that bitches would pass on their own immunity.

I am trying to find out how that part of it works. Does anyone know?

I agree that a vaccine would be a great protection and worth the money. However, it is only available in Europe and not North America.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Keep them coming. I have not found good discussion or research on this subject in my readings.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/C...pro-PuppyCare/

This list has had extensive discussions regarding CHV-- just type it in the search box. I attended a Myra Savant Harris repro seminar last spring (Myra hosts this chat group). CHV is why you need to keep your pups in a warm environment (not under the porch). Puppies can't regulate their body temps until they are close to 3 wks old, so if mom isn't in w/ them 24/7, you have potentially high risk of death due to CHV (which is everywhere). I don't believe the US has a vaccine but other countries do. I keep a thermostatically controlled pad or heat lamp in one area of my whelping box (in the house) to make sure the body temp is always maintained above 100F where it needs to be. For the first week of a pup's life, that whelping box needs to be maintained at about 80-85F for labs. I lower the temp by 5F each week thru the 3rd. Otherwise, the herpes virus can take over, and kill the kidneys by the sounds of it. It's a horrid death. CHV can also infect mom during pregnancy but if infected the first or 2nd trimester, you will lose some or all puppies in utero.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Combs View Post
    What's that on your lip????

Different disease. Similar to pseudorabies in hogs.

I lost a litter to it once. Not nice.

Adult dogs have no symptoms, but pups with lower body temperatures (until several weeks of age) suffer severe consequences, and even if they survive probaably should be destroyed. Usually older bitches have exposure and immunity passed to pups in colostrum. For some reason, Tess at 3 hadn't been exposed.
    Last edited by Keith Stroyan; 01-10-2008 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stroyan View Post
    Different disease. Similar to pseudorabies in hogs.

I lost a litter to it once. Not nice.

Adult dogs have no symptoms, but pups with lower body temperatures (until several weeks of age) suffer severe consequences, and even if they survive probaably should be destroyed. Usually older bitches have exposure and immunity passed to pups in colostrum. For some reason, Tess at 3 hadn't been exposed.
    We were told a one time exposure wasn't necessarily the ticket. I thought of it in vaccine terms. Mom is exposed/vaccinated, has a good immune response, but with time, her antibodies begin to dwindle so she doesn't have enough to pass on to pups. So the key really is just making sure babies are not allowed to become chilled. You need to maintain their body temp at or >100F (mom's heat + puppy's natural temp + supplemental heat if needed). I started taking puppy temperatures at ~2.5 to 3 wks in pups before making any transition from the warm whelping box to my garage kept a little cooler, just to be sure puppies are regulating themselves at 100-101F first. Most are 100F by 3 wks old.