RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

He goes too hard

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  lablover 
#1 ·
He goes to hard for ME anyway. I am sure more experienced FT and HT people have had some very hard charging dogs. I have worked on cheating for a while and he seemd to get it. Sometimes he would never cheat. Sometimes he would cheat in a new area and after a few minutes of showing him the proper route he would get it right. Today I took him to a place that we have worked on cheating before and he cheated numerous times before ever getting it right. Do I assume he's being a $#!^head or could he possibly be going so hard that he isn't thinking? The marks were with live ducks.

#3 ·
.... he cheated numerous times before ever getting it right.
The challenge to "hard charging dogs" is anticipation.
You described a dog that has had a tendency to cheat, add the excitment of live ducks and the cheat is more likely than not.
I don't how you have dealt with this in the past but I must ask: How/Why was he allowed to cheat "numerous times"?

Tim

#4 ·
I see your point and you are right. I should've anticipated the cheat. His cheating is probably 50/50 on the way out and the return.. The way I have dealt with it in the past has been to stop him and call him back and move closer to the water. On the return I go meet him where he is trying to beach early and "over" him to the exit point. When I run it again later he does it perfect. Today we started close to the water...probably 10 yards or so...and he cheated on the way out the first two times the mark was thrown. He cheated on the return only once. So, I guess it wasn't numerous times but two times in this situation seemed to be too much. This wasn't difficult. The only reason he was "allowed" to cheat was because his DA trainer/handler left his whistle at home.

#5 ·
If they can cheat, they will. It's just a matter of time.

The only reason he was "allowed" to cheat was because his DA trainer/handler left his whistle at home.

There is another part of the reason. I'll bet you will put an extra whistle in the truck from now on. ;)

Possibly you need to revisit cheating singles? Do expect them to cheat, and then show them what you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.