RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Historic Breedings – Food for Thought

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Sissi 
#1 ·
The term I am using is the evolution of lines. Is a sire’s name in pedigree present due his potency for generations or that the combination the bitch line made a better overall offspring such as River Oaks Corky? As I study these pedigrees of years ago I see certain lines are always present while other lines are like a candle with the light flickering then burning out. When we get a strong contender the number of breeding combinations for the popular sire gives more opportunity to be a wider spectrum of bitch’s good to mediocre.

These wide spectrum of breedings is akin to the corn breeder testing the combining ability for their lines. In the case of Corky’s dam a daughter of Grangemead Precocious, Shed of Arden son. I have concluded that these dogs area still in pedigrees today because of the breeding philosophy of breeding good by good. The next generation offspring ranging in quality getting the right stuff.

The right stuff for polygenic traits might be like mixing a bag of coins and then dumping them out then count the “heads”. The heads would be the desired alleles and the more the better the dog. So the new super dog is bred and the parents are listed in the pedigree. Some of the bitch’s listed in pedigrees like little Peggy Black Gum, daughter of Marvadel Black Gum, who’s son was Yankee Clipper of Reo Raj.

So are these lines carried along because they add to subsequent generations, or because they produced a good dog?

See less See more
#2 ·
Reputation of the male dogs performance sticks in the viewers mind more so than the untitled but well bred female. For many the bitch side was often the case of "please may she bring no downside to the breeding". If the bitch could be seen as a neutral value in the pedigree that was good enoug for many.
Now the pedigree of a strong bitch line seems to play a much greater role for the discriminating buyer.
The buyers are seeing more female FC and NFC on both sides of the border than ever before.
The buyer argueably has more confidence in a litter where the bitch line shows titles of signicance attached to the females in the pedigree.

#3 ·
Hopefully it is ok if I voice my opinion as I'm only a newbie. But I'm more experienced with German Warmblood horses and there the importance of a good motherline is immense. There are famous motherlines which are named after the first important mare and the breeders really care for those lines. I think the quality of our horses got better and better and so there is no room left for chances. When a breeding takes place everything has to be perfect. Actually there are famous stallions from the past which really made no impact on the breed although they had lots of Offspring. So in horses without a good mare the money for the stallion is wasted. I even think with a gorgeous mare, the stallion is not really important. At the place where our foals get marked I get to watch a beautiful mare every year. She was a European Winner when she was young and every year she has a foal from a different stallion. Not all of them are famous but all the foals are simply incredible!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.