RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Could I have missed it? (breeding question)

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ramblinmaxx 
#1 ·
Okay, I was planning on breeding my female this cycle. I first noticed blood last Monday. She has never been good on the timing of her cycle, but she has always been exactly 21 days for duration. Usually, I can tell by my male, when she is "prime", it has always been near day 10. He is usually out of his mind, whining, crying, trying to get into the kennel. This time we have none of that, he has been slightly interested, but has not tried anything yet. We put them together today, and he only licks at her, but that is it. In fact, they are now each sleeping on each end of the couch.
I know I am not doing this all by the book...(progesterone testing, etc.) but now I am worried, do you think we missed it? Do you think she just isn't ready yet? When you progesterone test, do you do that daily? Will it help me now?

He has been used as stud 3 times, once with her. This would be her second breeding.
Any suggestions?

#3 ·
Hi -- you are probably too early. When did she breed on her previous breeding? PG tests are never a bad idea. I bet you'll see more interest Friday.
Best of luck.
--Anney

#4 ·
Last time we bred on day 9, 11 and 13. We had 9 puppies. It just seems unusual that my male is not going crazy, he ALWAYS gets crazy by day 10. In the past I could set my watch by him. I have never done the progesterone testing, is it a blood test or smear?

Also, I have never seen it mentioned on here before, but I usually have my vet do a test 28 days after the last breeding to see if she "tooK". It is a test that measures relaxin (sp) in the blood. Anyone else ever use it?

#5 ·
Blood is drawn for the Progesterone test. Need to test every other day until they hit 2NG, then every day until they hit 5 NG. In your case you would want to make sure you got a tie when you see 5 NG.

Most all our litters are from Surgical AI, which is performed 60 to 80 hours (72 hours being the best) after female goes over 5NG.

I would get the Pro Test if I were you.

Marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.