The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Please participate in New Pythiosis Study!!

Thank you for renewing this thread. Pythiosis is a very deadly disease and is not so rare anymore, however, still many veterinary practices see very few cases of the disease.

Education is the key to recognizing the disease, and that is why I created the website, http://www.pythioisis.com. It goes into detail concerning the disease, so I will not repost here.

Many thanks to Ann Heise and Dave Rorem for supplying many of the dogs for blood testing for the disease. I thought I had posted those results, but will be glad to again.

Tammy,

Here are the basic stats for the study group.

BL = 175-199
    BL= 150-199 BL = 175-199 # with symptoms
    Total % Total % Total %
    Negative 106 61.99 137 80.12 8 5.84
    Borderline 43 25.15 12 7.02 2 16.67
    Positive 22 12.87 22 12.87 6 27.27
    Total Tested 171 171 16

I did the Borderline range at 150-199 and at 175-199 because I think the 150-175 range is too low. We are doing more tests to check this. I use the lower BL range in clinical samples to be sure we pick up on very early infected dogs which have lower scores. Id rather do this and get a few false BLs than to miss some infected animals.

It is interesting to note the correlation of Positive tests and animals with a history of symptoms. 27% of the positive group reported symptoms vs less than 6% of the negative group.

Robert L. Glass
    Pan American Vet Labs
    pavlab.com
    800 856 9655

Well unfortunately my parents' 3 year old dog has just been diagnosed with one of three bad fungal infections, Pythium insidiosum being one of the possibilities. She has been in private lakes and ditches and streams in Barbour County AL. Many dogs get in the same waters regularly, but she is unlucky enough not to have immunity. She has the type that causes lumps on the skin, not the GI kind. She has had surgery to remove some lumps and will have her leg and shoulder amputated tomorrow to remove more that could not be removed with resection. More diagnostic work will be done to determine exactly which one it is. If it is pythioisis, does anyone know the side effects of the newer treatment which is a vaccination? I'd like to help my parents in their decision making by giving them as much information as possible.

how about hunt test dogs ? I live and train in Illinois also hunt here so my dogs are exposed to some pretty funky water

The immunotherapy vaccines have little or no side effects. It simply boosts the dog's anti-bodies to fight the pythium insidiosum.

I've given the therapy to my dogs in hopes of acting as a preventative, as the pathogen is very common in MS, AL, LA.

It is just devastating to read the emails from pet owners all around the country who have dogs who are fighting or have fought this disease. After seven years and hundreds of emails, the most effective treatment has been:

immediately begin immunotherapy vaccines with yearly boosters
    remove as much of the affected tissue as possible
    short term anti-fungals
    low dose prednisone

The immunotherapy is not a magic cure since unfortunately the majority of dogs with the disease are still unable to fight the infection, however, I know of very few survivors who have NOT used it. The few dogs who do survive with surgical removal only seem to see the infection return within a year.
    Last edited by TBell; 10-30-2013 at 06:33 AM. Reason: typo

Thank you Tammy. I've passed the information along to my parents.

The dog has a confirmed case of pythioisis. She will be receiving the immunotherapy. She is doing well so far post- amputation. Not really sure what to expect if the disease progresses, but we hope we won't have to see that first hand.