The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Please participate in New Pythiosis Study!!

Tammy-

First-I don't know how I missed this-especially it being a sticky. Secondly-thank you for being proactive and using a painful experience to help all of our dogs. I'm not terribly familiar with this disease (am going to look at the website after posting), but have known a couple of dogs that were lost to blasto. They never had a chance due to an inability to diagnose in time, which is exactly what makes this disease something to make owners aware of.

My dog has a vet appointment scheduled soon & he was in TX last year and just returned a couple weeks ago from a couple months this winter. Had you not posted this thread-I would have no idea that he could be in danger. If the 200 dog limit hasn't been reached-I'd like to submit a sample.

Again-THANK YOU!! Our dogs give us everything they have day in and day out, so we owe them nothing less than taking every precaution to keep them healthy, happy and safe.

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Miriam,

Thank you for the good words!

Yes, there is still room. Please send your sample to Bob. Not only will you be monitoring your dog's health, you will be helping many dogs in the future overcome this disease with Bob's research!

Thank you for participating!

Tammy

I will be sending my sample out today! The veterinary hospital I work at is now dealing with this for the first time, its very scary. Are there any special shipping instructions for the blood other then red top tube?Thank you so much Tammy for all of your hard work.

No special instructions for the blood that I know of, but I did overnight mine in.

Bob's phone number at PavLab is 800-856-9655 if you need to call him.

Tammy

Tammy, I lost an 8 month old Cosmo pup last year to this horrible disease. I had never heard of it until my pup was diagnosed with it. Thank you for bringing this to the attention of RTF and thanks to all participating in the study. I was just looking over your website and saw there were two cases reported in SC. I wonder if either of those was mine? We didn't confirm Pythiosis was the cause of my pup's death until we sent tissue samples to Clemson University for testing post humous, however, my vet diagnosed it before the test results came back.
    Last edited by Brian Cockfield; 01-31-2008 at 09:57 PM.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell.

Brian,

That must have been really hard on you. What a shame to lose one that young.

I don't think I included yours in my SC stats, but I am not in the office right now to check. I only included dogs sent in from the form on my website.

Hopefully, with such a large study of dogs who are most at risk of encountering this pathogen, we can better understand why some dogs succumb, and why some are resistant. By better understanding of how they are infected can come better insight into how to prevent and cure it.

Keep those samples coming in!!

Tammy

I had Rebel's blood pulled today while in the vet for a lameness issue as well...xrays of the leg from shoulder to toe are normal but my boy is on crate rest and previcox for a couple of weeks..we also ran tick profile just in case.

I have tried to call the 800 number but no answer. I am refrigerating the sample until Monday. Will try the number again before I mail. I just need find out if I should send the ice pack with the sample and whether it should be sent priority or overnight. There are not specific instructions regarding mailing in the information provided.

The challenging part was figuring out all the cities and states Rebel has been since campaigning. I wasn't for sure how to fill out the "how often" question. The choices are once/month; once/week/ and once/day. Like other HT/FT folks, in some cities you are in the area for a weekend or three-day event, and then not back in the area for six months until the next event. Then when in training with a pro, the dog may be in a consistent area daily for several months. Of course, in addition to the home area training grounds.
    Last edited by frontier; 02-02-2008 at 05:33 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Blood handling instructions are:

Samples should be refrigerated from the time of collection until shipped, but should not be frozen. It is recommended to ship by Priority Mail with an ice pack if possible.

It is a challenge figuring out all of the places our dogs have been!!

Tammy

Bob Glass came to our club meeting this evening and drew blood on our dogs. They received 29 samples. Later he addressed the members with a slide presentation. The slide show was enough to get you thinking about testing and vaccinating against Pythiosis. Locally he tested 7 labs and 3 were positive carriers. A lot of times dogs can get Pythiosis and fight it off so you never realized they had it. Bob suggested that if your dog shows symptoms such as vomiting, watery diarrhea or diarrhea with blood which lasts more then 3 or 4 days you should get the dog(s) tested. Most vets are not aware of Pythiosis so you may have to have your vet contact Bob or LSU.
    Tony
    Tony Allen

Tammy,

Thanks for bring this disease to light. I have a couple of questions and please forgive me if I missed this information in the post.
    How often should a dog be tested? Should this be a yearly test, every six months? If a dog tests positive for exposure what does that mean? What should we do differently going forward? If a dog is positive for exposure, does that mean the disease is present and could develop or did the dog have the resistance to fight it off on his on?

Thanks,
    Charles