The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: New Training Stuff

Default New Training Stuff

Here are a few pictures of our new duck dog pit blind. We are enhancing our waterfowl dog training program as well as our upland program...

The pit blind is one of many new features we have added at Tremblin Earth Kennels. At the present we have 11 new trainees in the program with 5 on the reserve list. Thanks to those of you from the "Forum" who worked with us on purchasing our new pups and getting them shipped to us. This (the duck pit) is one of the places where they will be working in the near future.

KF

Last edited by Keith Farmer; 01-22-2008 at 04:52 PM.
    In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth (Gen 1:1 NKJV)... 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. (John 1:1-4NKJV)

No evolution, no monkey ancestors, no big bang!

Keith, I've often wondered why more pro's do not have a pit blind to work the dogs out of...even a smaller cut-down model with just room for a handler and one or two dogs if cost is an issue. As you probably know, it is an adjustment the first time a dog has to work from a pit. Not meaning to throw stones here, but this pit is nothing like any of the hunting pits I've seen and I was wondering why you didn't go with the more traditional pit with a low profile rolling top or flip top?
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

The pit is modeled after commercially produced blinds I looked at while researching what I wanted. I made my dog platform in the center so I can work dogs from either side from the center of the pit.

The top is a flip top constructed using galvanized electrical conduit (light weight for one man operation). I used a tarp for cover and left the sides and front partially open for lighting purposes.

The berm behind the blind was left in place so that bird launchers can be hidden. I have live wing-clipped birds thrown in the marsh to simulate early birds that a hunter would allow to land in the decoys then I have controlled birds thrown in and around the area while I call, flip the top, and shoot just as one would do while hunting.

The box is 10' long, 3' wide, 50" deep. The dog platform is 2' wide placed one foot in to the box. It works great! The pups are taking to it and having a blast working out of it.

Here is the commercial unit I looked at before building...looks very similar to me.

Last edited by Keith Farmer; 01-22-2008 at 08:56 PM.
    In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth (Gen 1:1 NKJV)... 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. (John 1:1-4NKJV)

Who makes that pit? Any more pictures or a website link? If the forum would consider this spam, please pm me the info.

Cool Idea. I do not have any pits like that available to me out here in Utah, but I am already getting the pup used to the Ground Force Dog Blind.
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

Great Stuff Keith congrats!! Will add a lot to the program!

Best Regards,

Wayne Dibbley
    Next Level Retriever Training
    Next Level Retriever Training
    www.retrievercoach.com
    wayne@retrievercoach.com
    PRTA Pro
    CAPPDT
    Ontario Canada

Here is a link to the site where the commercial unit is pictured...I had my unit made to my specifications...it just looks similar:

http://www.arkansasduckblinds.com/

Chris Akin uses a pit blind like that for his training.

Cory

From the same web site that Keith linked, this is along the lines of what I'm used to hunting from out in Arkansas and it is definitely an adjustment for a dog who hasn't hunted from one before. They may not like jumping in and out of it (particularly jumping in on a wet, slick metal surface, which is one reason I carry a pad) and they may get freaked out by the rolling lid and in my experience even a very steady dog is more likely to break out of one of these (which is VERY DANGEROUS because it can put the dog "muzzle high" in front of the shooters). IMO the dogs are more likely to break because the act of shooting out of one of these is much more "explosive" and exciting. You are hunkered down in there with the lid closed and the dog may or may not be able to see the birds then all of a sudden the lid flies back as someone yells "take 'em" and 4-6 people leap to their feet and empty their shotguns. Something about that lid flying back and the hunters leaping to their feet makes a dog want to get up and/or jump out of the pit. It would be beneficial for anyone who is going to hunt out of one of these for the first time to get their dog a little practice in one of these first (maybe the afternoon before the hunt or by going extra early the first morning). Close the lid, blow a call frantically and have someone yell "kill 'em", throw the lid back and have your hand on your remote and give a serious correction if the dog's but comes off the platform. Someone could even throw a dead duck or a dokken as you leap to your feet. It could save his life IMO. Anyway, this is the kind of pit I'm used to hunting out of:

http://www.arkansasduckblinds.com/images/roll_top2.jpg
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

Quote Originally Posted by FowlDawgs View Post
    Chris Akin uses a pit blind like that for his training.

Cory

Yes, I hunted out of some of his pits just a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure most Arkansas dog trainers have a pit of some kind or at least access to one for training purposes. When I was going to take my second dog out there for the first time I tried in vain to find a pro locally (Georgia) who had one. If I found a pro within a couple hours of my house who had one I was going to offer to pay to come out and work my dog out if it just to get him acclimated and to make sure he would be steady out of it. IMO if you are a pro who trains gun dogs it would be a really good idea to have a pit so you can acquaint your clients dogs to this kind of thing...just like you would acquaint them with hunting off a platform, dog stand, boat, and "lay down" dog blind.
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)