The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whelping services

Senior Member RailRoadRetrievers's Avatar

Default whelping services

Does anyone know of any whelping service providers in North Texas? What are the standard fees and expenses associated with having this service, what services come with whelping a litter?

Quote Originally Posted by ShotGunWillie View Post
    Does anyone know of any whelping service providers in North Texas? What are the standard fees and expenses associated with having this service, what services come with whelping a litter?
    I don't know about North Texas, but I've heard that when someone does offer whelping services, the charge may be "per puppy whelped", but there may certainly be a "base fee" to start with ... staying up all night waiting for a bitch to whelp has got to be worth something

Also, how long would the person providing the whelping service keep the pups at their location? Normally, I don't expect a litter to be weaned until about 5 wks of age.

Truthfully, unless you know the person providing the service very well, the thought of entrusting a bitch to be whelped by someone else is a hard decision.

While giving birth should be a natural process, it really is putting the bitch's life on the line if something should go wrong. I have whelped co-owned bitches, and even that is an added emotional responsibility.

I would imagine that a whelping service would have some kind of "hold harmless" provision in the event that the bitch was lost during the process.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by ShotGunWillie View Post
    There is a link to Great Expectations Whelping Center on the links page of our website.

We whelp our own pups, but I'm sure you would really like Kelli. Check it out.

Marty
    Marty & Lesa
    Ramblin Maxx Retrievers
    Fort Worth, Texas
    817-564-3560
    www.ramblinmaxx.com

I'd have to ask why on earth you'd do that-- entrust a stranger w/ your bitch for something that important???? Other than having help from my vet or the ER vet, or a VERY trusted breeder friend, I couldn't imagine putting my bitch in strange surroundings during whelp. Too many things can go wrong even in the best of circumstances. Prewhelp health and conditioning also play a big role.

Windy,

Some people would do it because others may be more qualified than the owner.
    Not taking a shot at anyone, or promoting anyone.

John
    ________
    cheap easy vape vaporizer
    Last edited by DRAKEHAVEN; 02-05-2011 at 05:44 PM.

I agree with Drakehaven. What would make the most sense, someone that loves their own bitch to death but has never whelped or raised a itter, or someone that is very savy and knowledgable about breeding/whelping that has vast experience in doing an excellent job????
    TRAVIS SKEEN

There is www.whelpwise.com that leases monitoring equipment, very helpful in monitoring the bitch contractions, fetal heartrates, always on call 24/7 and quite professional, they read the info transmitted via a phone line, suggest when and how much oxytocin and /or calcium to give if needed, can tell if there's a problem that needs vet intervention, that sort of thing, work in conjunction with your home vet as far as the meds and stuff. Good service for a novice if they don't have anyone to help and aren't comfortable by themselves, or even if they do.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by tshuntin View Post
    I agree with Drakehaven. What would make the most sense, someone that loves their own bitch to death but has never whelped or raised a itter, or someone that is very savy and knowledgable about breeding/whelping that has vast experience in doing an excellent job????
    I suppose we could argue, but with all due respect, there are many opportunities to learn the ins and outs of whelping (seminars, books, etc). You should take the time to do so if you have made that decision to breed your bitch. It's also a great idea to ask a seasoned breeder to join you in the first litters as well, but I personally feel that you owe it to your bitch to be with her if she's that valuable for you to breed. Sometimes people even realize after studying up on it, that it isn't such a good idea for them at all.

Whatever you do, never forget to have the Visa card ready if things go sideways. I'd much rather be quick to run to the vet than not.

Maybe some people are fortunate enuff not to have to hold down a full time job outside the home but I'm not one of them.
    I had never heard of such a service before, but when the time come's I may look into it.
    I don't understand why I wouldn't trust a well recommended professional whelping service any less than a trainer, vet , doctor or dentist.

Sounds like to me someone is trying to provide for the dog's best interest and probably doesn't need anyone jumping up on a sopabox telling them that maybe they have no business breeding thier bitch from the start??????

Quote Originally Posted by mildot1 View Post
    Maybe some people are fortunate enuff not to have to hold down a full time job outside the home but I'm not one of them.
    I had never heard of such a service before, but when the time come's I may look into it.
    I don't understand why I wouldn't trust a well recommended professional whelping service any less than a trainer, vet , doctor or dentist.

Sounds like to me someone is trying to provide for the dog's best interest and probably doesn't need anyone jumping up on a sopabox telling them that maybe they have no business breeding thier bitch from the start??????

Because rarely are our pets as comfortable with a stranger than they are with their owner-- that's why. Some won't even go into labor under strange conditions. If you decide to go that route, please... do progesterone timing and have her ovulation pinpointed so you don't end up w/a c-section done too early or too late (resulting in dead puppies or worse, dead mom).