The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dep't. Homeland Security or I broke a Federal Law today!

Unhappy Dep't. Homeland Security or I broke a Federal Law today!

So, right next door to where I work is the social security building in Burlington, Vermont. Every Saturday I park in the empty Federal parking lot instead of in the city lot. All my coworkers do as well. I have been doing this every Saturday for 26 years. I think of it as getting my moneys worth from the Government. Well this evening looking out the windows we all notice some action in the Federal lot. A Department of Homeland security SUV was there for a very long time, then a tow truck showed up. After about an hour or more a Homeland security officer came to the back door and asked to speak with me by name. Very friendly fellow dressed for combat. Had the high boots with the pants cuffs tucked in, The large hand gun in the tactical holster. Even had a protective vest. So I step outside, his idea. Shake his hand and ask "What's Up" He says "Mr. Bora, you have a hand gun in your truck" I say "Yes I do" He tells me I am breaking a federal law. I cannot park in a Federal Parking lot with firearms in my vehicle. I saw "Wow, I have parked there every Saturday for 26 years, and I always have guns in my truck. He says he knows I park there all the time but this is the first time he noticed any guns. I ask if he wants me to move my truck? He says "Yes because that will be less paperwork than the other alternatives" As we walk over to the truck together I ask about the tow truck. He tells me if things had gone down differently he needed to be prepared to remove my truck. "Differently" I ask? He tells me after he ran my plates and found out I had no wants or warrants he made the decision to speak to me first. "How did you know where I worked" I asked. Because I did not know from a simple license plate check you could get place of employment. I knew name and address and check for being a law breaker, but place of employment, HUH! Apparently he ran my hole life story, from the front seat of the SUV. Amazing, and more amazing was that he was there flash light in hand checking every vehicle parked in every Federal lot every evening. Just in case. I wonder, if the fellow had not been such a nice guy, asked about the dog boxes. Said he does a little duck hunting. If he hadn't been so willing to just have me drive the truck about 100 yards. What is the penalty for parking in a Federal lot with multiple firearms in your vehicle? Any Federal Prosecutors here on RTF? An odd day at work for sure.
    Ken Bora
    Federal Law Breaker!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

You were on your way to go hunting, right??? (see d(a)3 below):

18 U.S.C. 930 Possession of Firearms and Dangerous Weapons in Federal Facilities

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to
    (1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United
    States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or
    supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
    (2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or
    (3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by vermonster View Post
    You were on your way to go hunting, right??? .

he actually asked me if I was going hunting. I said "well it is rabbit season". The gun he spotted was a .410 single shot pistol, 14 inch barrel, from Thompson Center Arms. The 12 gage was under the back seat and he was very interested in the NEF .22 blank because it was half loaded. Gosh the thing holds 9 rounds. But I pointed out it is not against the law in Vermont to have a loaded hand gun in your vehicle as long as it was in plain sight. he said "I know that". It was tossed on the floor on the passenger side. 3 guns, one loaded, federal lot. Man, can't believe I am a law breaker, do I thank Osama Bin Laden or Timothy MicVay?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Sounds like the dude on duty actually had a brain and some common sense within it. I guess you'ld have to consider it a warning. If you end up in hot water, you can always freeze it!

Just be glad you didn't tell him you run Chessies, that would have landed you in the slammer for sure....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    Just be glad you didn't tell him you run Chessies, that would have landed you in the slammer for sure....

/Paul
    retriever racism - pure and simple
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

funny thing.

I washed my blackberry and my my wallet, I fell in the mud and girlfriend was pissed as soon as I stepped in the door. My Social security card was in wallet. ok CUT TO THE CHASE.

I parked in federal parking lot to go in ss office to get new card, had dogs plus box on truck, plus guns.

I had to take everything and I mean everything out of topper, primer pistols, popper guns, pump shotgun, benelli and chain out dogs, I also had a ton of 22 crimps for bumper boys, 209 primers, and popper and shotgun shells in truck, I had to call to get police officers that I know to explain what a topper was and that I was a dog trainer and not a terrorist to keep me from going to jail.

IT WAS A MESS.
    I think these guys overreact a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    So, right next door to where I work is the social security building

They can have all of that information on you in minutes but can't seem to be able to notice millions of bogus social security cards used by illegal immigrants.

We had permission from a farmer to train on his land that ajoins the coast of California. I was carrying a popper gun, field blanks and a bunch of dead pigeons and ducks, walking along with a 16 yo BB helping us. As we were finished and walking back around an estuary type bay, we were astonished to see three federal jeeps blazing through the sand on the ocean side, with sirens going. After stopping they all pulled rifles on us, protecting themselves with their car doors and telling us over the bullhorn to lay down our weapons and drop the bag. Hands in the air, I had to calm the poor kid down, as they decided to tell "the woman" to walk slowly to their vehicle. Apparently I looked less dangerous than the high school kid.
    After two hours of explaining what we were doing, them taking pictures of all of our stuff, including the dog truck and me, they gave me two tickets for $250 for disturbing the plover, and for trespassing. They handed the kid over to his father with a warning.
    They told us they had been watching us for a while, shooting pelicans!
    Thought about going to court, but paid the ticket to the Feds.
    Gotta be careful where you have guns, and watch the wildlife.
    LM

These last couple of posts infuriate me. I have the utmost respect for anyone in law enforcement and no one uses more discretion in a days work except maybe a school teacher. An honest person with no intention of wrongdoing gets railroaded while the known drug dealers go on day after day pushing their wares. How about those cultivating marijuana in national parks that will use deadly force to protect their crop. The only problem with common sense is that it isn't that common.