The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody 'short tie' anymore?

Default Does anybody 'short tie' anymore?

Remember reading, I think a Bill Tarrant book, where he highly recommended 'short tying' pups to solve a variety of problems. Does anyone still do this or have you in the past?
    Castle Heights Gundogs

Mossy Oak Pro-Staff
    Sportdog Field Staff
    Drake Waterfowl Field Expert
    Buck Gardner Pro-Staff

yes - I have, but it has been some time since I have done it - and I have reccomended it to others....

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

What kind of problems?? Just wondering.
    ________
    Big Dick Extreme
    Last edited by BROWNDOGG; 03-18-2011 at 10:48 AM.

What exactly is it?
    mrgd

DISCLAIMER
    "You may not think I'm funny but I do, please don't take anything I say seriously because it's probably not."

Short tying is great for dogs that have soured on training or lack work ethic....dogs that just decide they don't want to work or don't have to.....generally has more to do with the attitude of the dog, than say 'pressure' related problems (which I think are best fixed with more relaxed/fun training).....basically short tying is like 'jailing' a dog...tied to post on a 5-6 foot lead, away from kennel mates/house mates/people...the dog gets no attention at all..water and food and shelter, and that's it....After a few days spent short tied, the dogs I've used it on came back with a different attitude....

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

I read about this also in that book, Fetch em up, pup!, I believe it was. I have done it some with my 11mo CLF. I got/started her late on OB and she just wouldn't focus and went crazy anytime we went outside the back yard.

Just a couple of sessions and she's much more focused and under control.

She also would bark/whine at kids passing in the street, trucks etc... so I started tying her up at the entrance of the garage while I was out there shoveling the driveway, etc... so she could just watch everyone go by. Not a peep from her anymore and most of the time now I don't even put her on a lead out front (we're at the end of a dead end street so no car traffic) and she always stays close.

I use it every day. (called the "chain gang"). It is a great tool to teach patience, and at home, my personal dogs all know their "place" on the chain, and run to it when I let them out before we work. This could turn into a long post , so I'll just add a link to an article:
    http://www.teamhuntsmith.com/Docs/behaviormod.pdf
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

I've always found the method to be somewhat Neanderthal like in it's approach and shows lack of imagination on the trainers part. You can't train heart and drive. If the dog doesn't have it, most likely he'll never get it. If a dog has soured on training and does not have balance then the trainer should be short leashed until he can be a little more creative. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by greg magee; 01-30-2008 at 06:56 AM.

It mostly has to do with your perception.
    Some people think prong collars and e-collars are bad. Many thing putting a dog on a chain is bad.

Like having a 12 ft radius or 6 ft. is worse than being stuck in a 3x2 hole.
    Retriever enthusiest see things quite differently than most of the other working dog people.

Both chains and kennel runs can cause frustration in a dog. I would prefer dogs to have room to move around and see and breath,,,but being in a box has its advantages also. It just depend what is needed.

Dogs that have desire problems are usually worsened by exposing them to what they are not interested in.They may actually go to sleep. There are tons of better ways to surface desire.

Many people sware to chaining outside as a norm rather than in a run.
    To each their own. As far as a training meothod of getting a dog to do or not do something ,,,, I have absolutely no idea.

Pete

I do not tie the pup up but I have left them in their kennel for a few days without any training or playing. I'll let them out to eat, drink, and poop.

The drive of the dog has always increased for me and they seem to want to please you more.