RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Good news...bad news from the vet(now things are going to get fun)!!!

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Randy Bohn 
#1 ·
Took my pregnant BLF to the vet last week for an x-ray, and could only make out 7 puppies(even with exposure problems with their x-ray system)....so yesterday I decide that one more x-ray, with a better exposure, would given me a more precise number of puppies.... oh brother was it more precise, more like 12-14 puppies....can't wait till the fun starts!!!!

#2 ·
did you say puppies or poopies?:D;-)

Juli

#5 ·
Good luck with all those puppies! We've been there with litters of 14 and 12 in the past. It is alot of work to get them all going and keep them going(not enough nozzles to go around). Make sure you have plenty of milk replacer and puppy bottles on hand. Also if you are comfortable with it you could have your vet show you how to tube feed some of the smaller weaker pups. It helps out alot if you got a pup or two that are to weak to suck and you can get food straight to their stumach in hopes of getting them going.

#6 ·
my friend, who is just selling the last of a litter of 13, used goat's milk to supplement her pups....they did really great on it and it is a lot cheaper than the canned formula stuff you get at the pet store...

just a thought!
Juli

#9 ·
congrats on the great news........good luck with them......My litter of 7 is 5 weeks now and they are making me insane when they arn't sleeping which is every 2 hours... I call them the little terriorists....

I wouldn't change a moment for the world they are all precious little guys.

#10 ·
Hey Geoff,
Remember ALL those jokes about my GROUNDHOGS?
I guess you and your wife will get lots of sleep....NOT!!!!
All kidding aside, make sure you have all your vet's telephone #'s, lots of towels, puppy formula( goat's milk and pedalite),keep them warm, etc.
I guess you all your experience in the O R will help too.
Good Luck with the babies and keep us updated!

Joyce and Jeff

#11 ·
If this is the same Joyce I think it is....you better not be calling those babies groundhogs!;-):eek:

#12 ·
Goats Milk is the wat to go. We get ours by the gallon jug frozen, from a local "Goat farm"

My personal stragety after the 1st couple days of nursing (colosterum) is to bottle feed the biggest 1st and let the little guys get as much from mom as possible. This has worked fairly well in the past.

Good luck Buddy, Keep us posted.

JK

#13 ·
Java had only three..at the time I was so disappointed but after reading this thread maybe I should be thankful..you are going to have so much fun specially when they start escaping out of the whelping box...You had better post lots of photos (if you have the time) What colours are expected?

#17 ·
A WHAT? Don't you know there is no such thing as a black chesapeake?

Juli

#18 ·
This is a litter that people should really look at if your in the puppy market. When Jeff was one of the guys and ALLOWED to train with us (pre marriage) Traxx was always fun to watch.....0 to 30mph in 3 seconds, loves the water too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.