RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Dog disgusted with his food

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Kevin Eskam 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, What do you do when your dog won't eat his food anymore? I have a 1-1/2 year old choc. lab, who was fed Purina Large Breed Puppy food and absolutely loved it. I had switched him over to Purina Pro Plan Performance several months ago -- and now he doesn't have the same "desire" for the food. Sometimes he'll go to the bowl, sniff it and then look "disgusted" and walk away. Other times he'll eat it - albeit very slowly. He's never gotten any wet food nor any table (people) food - except for those few opportunistic occassions. He's also in very good shape - so he's not gaining nor losing weight.

Is this a phase and will he get over it? Or should I look for a new food? I'd like to get him the 30% protein - 20% fat combo.

Ideas and comments always welcome and appreciated..

#2 ·
I believe dogs go thru stages where they eat more and eat less. If the body condition stays the same I wouldn't change a thing. If he starts losing weight I'd have him checked out. Very rarely do I see dogs lose weight just b/c they don't like their food--usually there is a medical condition that has their appetite down. Now this doesn't count on dogs that are fed a lot of table scraps as these dogs will become very spoiled and sometimes refuse to eat dog food for a long time. However, in your case I doubt it is the food--probably just not as hungry or needing the calories. Sure--some foods might taste better but my dogs love the Pro Plan and do very well on it.

todd

#7 ·
..... I had switched him over to Purina Pro Plan Performance several months ago -- and now he doesn't have the same "desire" for the food ..... I've also noticed that he'll eat more and more vigorously on the days when we train harder.
I think you found the answer! Several months ago is probably when you lost day light savings and were not working him as much. I have 6 yo that doesn't eat at all if he is not worked that day. Quite a work ethic!

Tim

#5 ·
I was worried about my pup and even though her weight looked really good for her frame I still took her to the vet. She checked out fine. She went from eating 5 cups to like 2-3 but wasn't losing weight. She kicked back up and is eating about 5 cups a day of just dry or a mix when I give her raw, which is 8oz. I think.

#6 ·
Some people have told me that there feed has gotten hotter! I do not know if that is true or not (dont feed it), but might be the reason, some dogs just cant handle a hot feed!! How are his stools?

#8 ·
Keskam .... sorry to ask a silly question, but what do you mean by hotter? Higher %'s of protein, etc.

Caglatz .... I have a four year old male that has been on Performance for quite some time and is currently doing the same thing when he eats. Since he is not losing weight and his stools seem fine, I am thinking that his system is just not requiring the calories do to a lighter winter training schedule. Sort of makes you worry though when you think that labs are usually not "picky" eaters!

Sue

#9 ·
Sometimes they will tweek the ingredients alittle in the feed or they change the formula making the feed alittle hotter!! Or when processing the feed something could stop the production and some of the feed could recieve alot more fat then should be in there!! They are not going to discard the feed if it is bagged that way, They are going to sell it thinking that nobody will know the differance!! Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.