The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck dog

Default Truck dog

We talked to four yorkie breeders yesterday regarding a puppy,and all of them had CKC(continental kennel club) registrations,and no AKC.Is that common? They were charging from 400 to 950 for a puppy,which seems alot for a non registerable puppy (AKC).Yes,I just want a truck dog,and will probably neuter her....but I would like a pure bred Yorkie.$65 would get me something from the pound.

AKC applies certain standards--requirements for recordkeeping and identification, and in some cases inspection of breeders' premises. ConKC (not to be confused with the Canadian Kennel Club) does not, as far as I know. Lack of AKC registration raises the question, "why?" I would ask. AKC's politics have turned some people off, but I don't know that breeders would leave for that reason.

More to the point, though--if you want to get a healthy dog, I'd do a little research on the problems typical of the breed (I bet your vet could tell you; I know they get "dry eye" which is somewhat annoying and costly to deal with). Then ask breeders what health issues they're concerned with and what they've done on behalf of trying to supply you with a healthy puppy. Listen to the answers and try to decide if they're BS or not.

It occurs to me to wonder if AKC has shot themselves in the foot with limited registration. People who want to breed and sell puppies may get a dog on Limited reg. and apply for ConKC papers on the puppies. Oops--a bigger market share to the other guys.

Amy Dahl

Go with the pound.

If you really like the Yorkie, find a rescue in the area. It will cost a little more than a pound dog but it should be already spay and up to date on shots. You might want to look at a little bigger breed though, maybe a corgi something that can handle a hit from a large dog or in case it gets under foot.
    Becky Z.

Golden Retrievers: Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies and bandanas.

Real Gold's Hot Patootie WCX** "Penny"
    http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=144306

Thanks yaul

You might inquire with this gentleman who is in the Yorky rescue in LA.

Thomas Young
    421 Camp Bistno Road
    Doyline LA, 71023
    318-987-4095

Gotta tell you-I pet sit for two who I absolutely love!!!but housebreaking just does not happen, and they can be fragile.
    I want a shiz tsu for my little dog
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.

Continental Kennel Club...is code word for puppy mill, big or small.

Go to the local shelter, you save a dog.
    We got an Auss. Terrier from a Humane Society in Northern WI. This lil' bitch ROCKS, will catch a live duck chases, the 4 wheeler, and swims in the pond.
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

Chihuahuas think they are labs! This one runs with the pack of little ones AND big ones. And she fits quite nicely on the top of the seat back like a cat. One of her other nice attributes is she can also be used as a diversion during training. Of course, the dog has to know the drill before you add the diversion! LOL....

Princess Darla of Nottingham MH ***
    Copper's Darlin' Rascal "Spanky" ***
    Spanky's Darlin Rascal "Wheezy"

Yellow dogs rule the world!

I only know one Yorkie. She lives in the neighborhood and every time she gets near my dog, a 2.5 year old BLM, she attacks him. I stepped in between them one time just because I was afraid Indy was going to have had enough of this, and she bit me on the leg!!!! Her owners walk her on one of those extendable leashes and do nothing when she comes after us. I think they believe its funny, and of course because it is so small and fragile, I don't kick or hit. Now we just stay far far away!!!!

Dedeye, I like the idea of the chihuaha (sp)! My old pet lab had a best buddy (Pedro, original huh?) that probably weighed no more than 10 pounds. My dog was 90, and neither one ever hurt the other!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com