RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Trailers and Dog Safety

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Hambone 
#1 ·
I've been considering a dog trailer and I've already searched the forum for recommendations but something else came up that concerns me. I have a slide in camper I use for hunting and dog trips so a box or slide in topper won't work for me. I just worry about the way a trailer bounces around especially since I would only need a 4 holer. I know a lot of you folks use them but how do they ride? I've seen my boat trailer come clear off the ground just hitting a bump on the interstate and the dekes are never where they started when we get to the ramp. What are your thoughts on safety and comfort for the dogs with a light trailer like I am considering.

#2 ·
First of all, I've never ridden in mine (even though Ms Truk might want me to on LOOOONG trips). Mine bounces quite a bit, I put some of those "shock resistant" mats (that are used on the areas that people stand in a manufacturing plant) to hopefully lessen the impact.

#3 ·
i had a 6 hole, i don't remember it bouncing that much LOOK at the jones airliner, have one designed or get one where the weight is mostly over the axle(s) a stainless/aluminum dt w/ storage and water + the dogs' weight should weight more than the typical duck boat--I know i could walk my boat around the yard to mow where it was, I had to hook the DT up and get it out of the way

#5 ·
I pulled a 6 hole deerskin last summer and while I too never road IN it, I can tell you it looked like a nice ride for the dogs. It was weighted in the front with a lead weight and between that and the stainless steel, it was a well built trailer. My bumper boys road in the end storage area and never appeared out of place.

This is one example of getting what you pay for. I wouldn't get a cheap one just for safety sake of the dogs, I'd spend the extra money and get a well, built trailer. You will have it for years AND they hold their value.

Kris

#6 ·
I just purchased the the Jones "WJ" model 6 hole. I am curious how she will ride. should be in sometime this week

I kept looking and found Jones' standard equipment is every other companies options like spare tire and such

#7 ·
I have a 4 hole Deerskin stainless steel trailer and love it! It hauls like a dream - you never even know it's back there. It does not bounce around at all.

I agree completely - you get what you pay for. I can't say enough great things about my Deerskin.

Andy

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the posts. Still considering what I'll do but I had already decided that I would buy a quality trailer like those recommended. The boat that I saw go airborne was a fiberglass bass boat that weighed quite a bit more than any 4 holer dog trailer. I might just sell the slide in and get a trailer for my camping. Just doesn't work for duck hunting or fishing trips where I want to take a boat too. Sigh, so many options, so little time . . . and money!

G
#10 ·
two words -- dual axle... I wouldn't buy ANY trailer without two of them. dog or otherwise... With a 4-hole, that may give you some xtra room for a storage area or something, but I wouldn't buy a single axle trailer...

there's a story I posted on here... long story short, I ended up in the dog truck in just underwear and a handler's jacket... a client's child had pooped near the dog truck BIG NONO!!! And it ended up on my boots and up the back of my pantleg... And it had gotten hot that day so I had taken my sweatshirt off.... God, this sounds awful...

Anyway, pulled thru BK for a drink and looked back and had a flat on one axle. Well, I was in my undies and handling jacket, what could I do????? I called Joie and asked if it was ok to drive home on 3 tires and he said yes, just go slow (only about 10 mins to home).

That day I THANKED GOD that I had two axles!!!!!!! LOL

Besides that type of thing, if you ever have an axle go down on the road, you can get by on one if you're careful...

-K

#11 ·
Duel Axle is the way to go, my first trailer was a single axle and I had the same concerns watching it bounce.

The next trailer is a Duel Axle and what a diffrence, plus you have the back-up of the other wheel if there is a blow-out like Kristie said.

#12 ·
I have a Shamrock 6 hole tandom axel and it rides great. I loaned it out last summer to a buddie of mine who in the past has owned a single axel 4 hole DS, a tandom 6 hole MT, and a tandom 10 hole MT and he claims that my trailer (which is lighter) rode the best and bounced the least. REASON---- TORSION AXELS-- normal spring axel are linked together by an equalizer. Torsion axels are not linked together and can move independently of each other, much like a car or truck.

#13 ·
I have a 4 hole K-9Koach Trailer with a single axel that has the torsion suspension. It pulls like a dream, no bouncing at all.

#14 ·
I have an old Deerskin 8 hole with single axle and it doesn't bounce. Of course it is HEAVY and well balanced. I will go with dual axle when I upgrade so I can add ATV and more storage. But as for now my dogs love the ride and seem to rest easy on long trips.

#16 ·
Sounds like the torsion axle is the setup. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks folks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.