RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

seizures ? mini stroke ?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  goldenguy 
#1 ·
Have already taken the 3 yr old YFL to the vets for blood test and am waiting the results. Last week my very active pup comes into the room and it seems like she has something stuck in her throat. She had taken the stance like she was going to vomit. I check her air way and found it to be clear and then she staggered very stiff legged for a little more than a minute and then she was fine back to normal immediatly like it had never happened. We trained last weekend dog worked hard handled pressure fine. Well this am she goes outside like normal and jumps back on the bed and seems unstable like before and this lasted less than a minute. She went to the vet this am and found nothing took blood samples everything else seems normal... We are gone most of the day so she maybe having these episodes more frequently... Any ideas of what I should look for check for? She eats well "dog fuel high in protein" not had a heat cycle this summer and is due in March, is kenneled 12 hours a day and won't pee in her kennel so that is the first things she does when she is let out. I can't think of anything else. But she has me worried now

#3 ·
Does your dog seem 'out of it' when this happens? Seizures are usually pretty identifiable once you've seen one.

I had a dog that pinched a nerve in his back getting off the couch and for a little bit I thought he was either having or going to have a seizure. I rushed him to the vet and they found nothing. He did it again about 3 months later and that was when we surmised it was a pinched nerve. It was weird.

Things to look for if it is a seizure are dilated pupils, dog acting like he/she doesn't know you or the surroundings, a wet belly (possibly by peeing), a wet mouth from salivating, you'll just know something is not quite right.

Good Luck

Kris

#4 ·
We've had a similar thing occur in our dog. It started before he was a year old, and now he's eleven. The first time we rushed him to the vet in the middle of the night, thinking he was in big trouble and of course he was fine before we even got there. Like you, tests were inconclusive, and everything came back normal. They suspected it COULD be seizure, but all the symptoms didn't fit. Also, I've had experience with seizures, and it didn't seem quite like one to me. He never peed on himself, no salivating, and he was fairly aware of us and his surroundings when he came out of it. It didn't seem like all his muscles tensed up either. He'd be a bit wobbly, but only for a few seconds.
He didn't have any more episodes right away, so we didn't worry about it for a long time. Over the years, though, every once in a while he'll act like he's going to vomit, or hack up something and then will get stiff, not breathe, and then passes out falling to his side. Then he is breathing within seconds and is fine, aware, and goes on about his business.
We asked our vet, and he thought (he explained in more technical terms) basically thought that in trying to vomit/hack up something, he was straining so hard the breathing/airway may be cut off, so to speak. Then he passes out. As soon as he passes out, the strain/muscles are relaxed, he can breathe again, and is okay. It hasn't interfered with anything in his life. You vets can explain this type of thing more accurately.

#5 ·
She doesn't pee on herself and she is totaly aware of what is going on around her. Her eyes aren't dilated and her breathing is normal. Her 4 legs become stiff and when she moves mostly side to side its a very stiff motion more like a shuffle. She doesn't bend at the knee. We have the video camera ready in case. It just scary but only lasts a few moments.

Thanks

#6 ·
#8 ·
Doesnt sound like seizures! Prayers your way!

#9 ·
The blood test came back hypo thyroid ( they are running a thyroid panel now ) however she doesn't match any of the typical symptoms, none of them match, she had another episode last night ended up shaking in bed, and then she fell asleep and I was up most of the night just watching her.

#10 ·
I had a golden with that had several seizures that lasted for several minutes and were very intense seizures.

They started appearing when he was between 2 and 3 years old.

The tests showed an autoimmune thyroid condition. All the test showed the levels of his thyroid were many times the norm. For example if a measurement should be between 9 and 10, his may be 1000 (no exaggeration). What I understand is that his body did not recognize his own thyroid so it was destroying it and the remnants of the thyroid chemical were still in his body. The simple tests that vets give in their office is not sufficient for this problem. We sent it off to a a university vet school to get a full work up of what was happening.

I do not know if it is signficant but the blood sample was taken immediately after one of his seizures.

The cure was to give him a thyroid supplement. His body did not think it needed to create its own thyroid after taking the supplement so it did not reject it and his seizures stopped. He is now 10 years old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.