The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Anti gun wackos at it again GDG

Default Anti gun wackos at it again GDG

Wow! I guess gun crimes in space are on the rise or something.

Space Station Crew Can Access Gun

February 14, 2008
    CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Astronauts aboard the International Space Station apparently have access to a gun, it was confirmed today.
    Russian Cosmonauts carry a gun on their Soyuz space capsule, which is attached to the space station.
    But although the gun has been there for as long as the space station has been in orbit, its existence is kept quiet. NASA and Russian officials won't talk publicly about it.
    Former NASA engineer Jim Oberg, who is an author and journalist, wrote about the gun on his Web site. He said the gun has no place in an environment where people are under such high stress.
    "There have been cases of severe psychological strain on people in space, strain that they have taken out -- that their shipmates worried about the ultimate actions," Oberg said.
    Experts said the idea of an astronaut losing control was unthinkable until one year ago, when Lisa Nowak shattered the myth.
    Her own attorney said she was insane when arrested for hunting down another woman, and prosecutors said she was armed.
    Nowak had flown in space just seven months earlier.
    Oberg knows an astronaut bent on orbital manslaughter could simply throw any number of switches to do the job, but he said the crews would be safer if the gun was locked up or left on Earth. The gun is located in a survival kit between some seats aboard the Soyuz spacecraft. All the crewmembers know about it, and U.S. astronauts who fly aboard the Soyuz are trained to use it.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Wow! I guess gun crimes in space are on the rise or something.

Space Station Crew Can Access Gun

February 14, 2008
    CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Astronauts aboard the International Space Station apparently have access to a gun, it was confirmed today.
    Russian Cosmonauts carry a gun on their Soyuz space capsule, which is attached to the space station.
    But although the gun has been there for as long as the space station has been in orbit, its existence is kept quiet. NASA and Russian officials won't talk publicly about it.
    Former NASA engineer Jim Oberg, who is an author and journalist, wrote about the gun on his Web site. He said the gun has no place in an environment where people are under such high stress.
    "There have been cases of severe psychological strain on people in space, strain that they have taken out -- that their shipmates worried about the ultimate actions," Oberg said.
    Experts said the idea of an astronaut losing control was unthinkable until one year ago, when Lisa Nowak shattered the myth.
    Her own attorney said she was insane when arrested for hunting down another woman, and prosecutors said she was armed.
    Nowak had flown in space just seven months earlier.
    Oberg knows an astronaut bent on orbital manslaughter could simply throw any number of switches to do the job, but he said the crews would be safer if the gun was locked up or left on Earth. The gun is located in a survival kit between some seats aboard the Soyuz spacecraft. All the crewmembers know about it, and U.S. astronauts who fly aboard the Soyuz are trained to use it.
    Interesting!! I guess I don't understand why a gun would not be one of the key elements of a survival kit. While it might not help you if you came down in the ocean, there are a lot of places it would be useful.

As for Lisa Nowacko, the people who administer the program need to do a little better job of vetting these people - quota driven requirements lead to these types of situations.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

What's the point? You can't shoot it inside the space craft while in space. I guess if the shuttle fell out of the sky and landed in the middle east, they'd have to protect themselves from all the scary brown people!

It's to protect themselves against the aliens!

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of! Who they going to shoot, another astronaut, then have the bullet go through the space craft only to inplode the whole deal!
    Misty Marsh Gun Dog Supplies is your source for Elsema remote release electronics, Dogtra, Sport Dog, Tri-Tronics, Armadillo foam, Dokken, Gunners Up wingers, Retriever Specalists, Alfa, Smartworks, and more. www.mistymarsh.com

I am so tired of everyone saying Nowak was crazy. Everyone who's anyone knows that she had given birth to a half alien baby shortly after returning to earth. You don't know postpartum depression until you have birthed a smiglak child.
    mrgd

DISCLAIMER
    "You may not think I'm funny but I do, please don't take anything I say seriously because it's probably not."

Quote Originally Posted by ftrjuj View Post
    Interesting!! I guess I don't understand why a gun would not be one of the key elements of a survival kit. While it might not help you if you came down in the ocean, there are a lot of places it would be useful.

As for Lisa Nowacko, the people who administer the program need to do a little better job of vetting these people - quota driven requirements lead to these types of situations.

I am against gun control...but what are you going to shoot in space?

Quota driven requirments are of the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee View Post
    What's the point? You can't shoot it inside the space craft while in space. I guess if the shuttle fell out of the sky and landed in the middle east, they'd have to protect themselves from all the scary brown people!
    I guess you didn’t read the part about it being PART OF THE SURVIVAL KIT IN THE RUSSIAN SPACE CRAFT. Don’t think they are that worried about landing in the Middle East and shooting brown people, but nice misdirected stab at something I guess…
    I am sure the RUSSIANS are going to rush right out and take it off because our anti gun wackos said it was bad…. Funny we are the ones with the second Amendment and we are complaining that the RUSSIANS of all people have a gun in space.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke