The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Large or Small?

Default Large or Small?

Our male puppy is 8 wks old today and weighs 13.5 lbs. Is he considered large or small? He gets 1 cup of science diet in the morning and 1 cup in the evening. Just wondered if we could expect a 70 lb dog or a 80 lb dog.

He's right there with my co-owned boy who I expect to be no more than 75# as an adult, but sometimes it's hard to predict if you have no other info to base it on. Your breeder can probably help more than we can.

His mother is 75 lbs and his sire 80 lbs. Dam is out of Roux and his sire is out of Riks Risky Raider. Sire and dam are titled hunt test dogs.

Sounds like a nice size pup for 8 wks. I would say that 70-80 lb range will probably be where he ends up.
    RCL Retrievers
    "Specializing In Young Dog Development"
    www.rivercreeklabs.net
    402-540-1501

Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    Our male puppy is 8 wks old today and weighs 13.5 lbs. Is he considered large or small? He gets 1 cup of science diet in the morning and 1 cup in the evening. Just wondered if we could expect a 70 lb dog or a 80 lb dog.
    I looked at my vet records. My current dog was 13.9 lbs. at 59 days old (3 days older than your pup) and he weighs about 77 lbs. He is not fat, but should probably lose 2-4 lbs. FWIW, he weighs more than either of his parents. His sire was taller, but more lean and rangy...never could really put much weight on him, weighed about 72 lbs and looked pretty lean at that weight. If he lost down to about 70 lbs. he didn't look very good. I don't know what the dam weighs, but she couldn't be more than about 60 lbs. max. She has a stocky build though. My pup got her stockier build and blockier head with some of his sire's size (but not all of his height), so that is why he weighs more than his sire. He is a better eater than his sire too. That said, I don't know if this will really help you or not.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

The breeder had said the males from the litter should mature around 80-85 lbs. My pup was the bigger pup but I don't think he will be that big. Although we definately don't overfeed him so maybe he will be slightly larger than I expect (not the fat, roly poly). But I am thinking 75 lbs or so.

Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post

well - per breed standard? average for right now....

my 87lb male chessie was 13 lb @7 weeks...
    I currently have a pup that is half sister to him - she was about 17lb@7weeks.... is now 34lb@14 weeks
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Just an update. Fred in now 10 weeks old and weighs 20 lbs.

When he gets his last shots at 16wks, record his weight and see how closely he ends up fitting the "4 months x 2 = adult weight" rule. Might not fit that mold or might surprise you by how closely, but in either event, it'll give you a little size game to play.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2014-2015 season log)

FYI:
    Black lab....parents 75 and 60 lbs.

13 lbs @ 8 weeks
    19lbs @ 10 weeks
    24 lbs @ 12 weeks (his current age)

Fed 3X day.

pete
    Peter Linn

Is he your best buddy or just a notch on your belt? Train to teach, be fair.

Choctaw's Esperando La Magica "Breeze" ** MH
    Surfer Joe II

http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=146721