RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Pad Cut

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  23721 
#1 ·
Young bird dog sliced the pad all the way through across the middle of one of her back toes. About 1/4" deep.

Can't remember exactly the old Super Glue trick? I can't get it to stop bleeding.

Can somebody help me out with what to do?

G
#2 ·
Hopefully it stopped bleeding I dont use super glue I keep it clean by soaking it twice a day in betadine and warm water about 5 min. I dont like to put ointment on it makes them lick at it. I keep a sock or boot on while Im away and try to remove it while I can watch them. We have had very deep cuts and only stitched one it turned out horrible and had to heal all over again after the stitches came out. If its deep i usually start them on antibiotics. I had one that bled a little for a couple days everytime the dog walked on it

#3 ·
Gmhr1

Thanks for the reply, I'll follow your advice.

The bleeding has pretty much stopped this morning. Still a little when she walks on it. I will crate her for a couple of days and just let her out walking on a leash.

Thanks again. .....Don

G
#4 ·
Just make sure she doesnt lick at it she can make it much worse than it is. Soaking it for just a couple minutes in the warm water betadine (than towel dry ) will clean it and help prevent infection. Keep an eye on her if she seems like shes not feeling well contact your vet. Deepest one we ever had took about a month usually they heal faster than that. I use liquid bandage to help protect it while they work, it stings so I usually wait till it starts to heal before applying it.

#7 ·
I had the same thing last year. Took her to the vet. She got antibiotics. He had me wash it daily with betadyne, then put the vet gel (thick superglu stuff you can get a Petco) and then gauze and wrap the whole thing in vetwrap (Petco). Then I sprayed some of that hot apple stuff on it and she didn't pull it off. At night I unwrapped it to let it air. It didn't take to long to heal.

#8 ·
A year ago my boy got one of those really deep cuts from an oyster shell. My vet said no stitches, no gels and no superglue. The reason given was that one that deep needs to heal from the inside, and by closing it you can trap bacteria. So we used the betadine wash twice a day along with the gauze and pet wrap. It took a little over a month to heal completely and near the end we started applying a "pad toughener" and now its better than the original pad.

Oh yeah, antibiotics too for 10 days after the cut.

#9 ·
Just an update.

Thanks for all the responses, I really really appreciate all the help.

Gmar1 - did the 2 soaks in Betadine like you instructed (50 - 50 mix). The cut doesn't look any worse and has quit bleeding all together. She won't leave it bandaged but is pretty much leaving it alone otherwise.

I'm going to go ahead and take her to the Vet in the morning to get her started on antibiotics like you suggest.

What percentage do you mix the water to the Betadine?

Thanks again. .....Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.