The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Question for HT judges...

Default Question for HT judges...

Just curious, how do you judge a dog when he goes out to retreive a mark? If he goes out of the area of fall and comes back to it, You start out at a 10 then for everytime he goes out of the fall area and comes back to it, do you mark him down say 1 point for everytime he does that or what?(example; 1st time out down to a 9, second time out down to a 8, third time a 7?) Also on multible retreives,are you more leniate on the 2nd &3rd birds typically? Thanks for responses!

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

I don't judge so much as you describe. I look at the overall picture. If a dog shows positive evidence of a mark by going to the AOF and putting on a reasonable hunt it gets a minimum of a 7. If the dog steps on the bird its a 10, anything inbetween gets an 8 or 9. A dog that hunts out of the area or puts on a really stupid hunt gets a 5 or 6. Dogs that require a handle(99 out of 100 of these do not have any kind of mark) get no better than a 4 on the first handle.

I give the dog a bigger AOF for each subsequent bird, ie the area of the fall for the first bird down in a multiple is bigger than the AOF for the second, and the second is bigger than that third etc.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

somewhere between Boca Grande and Nova Scotia

Very much like Bob describes. I look at the entire retrieve. He is not going to start with a 10 just by going to the AOF, he will have to front foot it for that. You description leaves a lot to be desired. Leaving the AOF means a lot of things. How far out was he? An extended hunt is one thing, but leaving the AOF with no purpose is another.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Thanks guys for your responses. My thinking was not so much as a big ,silly hunt. But more so a troubled hunt were the dog shortly extends the AOF and has trouble finding the bird. How long or when is the point of no return in your eyes? Thanks.