The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purina Response- Feeding Large Breed Puppies

Default Purina Response- Feeding Large Breed Puppies

Thank you for contacting Nestlé Purina PetCare Company.

We appreciate your inquiry. Please know that we recommend puppies remain on a puppy formula until they turn one year of age. However, large breed dogs (dogs weighing over 50 pounds at maturity) should remain on a puppy formula until they reach two years of age.

Growing puppies have increased nutritional needs compared to adult dog and the nutritional needs of large breed puppies differ from those of smaller breed puppies. Large breed puppies, which are dogs that will weigh over 50 pounds at maturity, require fewer calories per unit of body weight than smaller breed puppies.

Rapid growth occurs during the first few months in all breeds. Excessive daily caloric intake, beyond that needed for lean body condition, can contribute to accelerated growth rate and excessive weight gain. Avoiding excessive caloric intake helps manage growth and excessive weight gain, which is beneficial to skeletal development in large breed puppies. To help manage the large breed puppy's growth rate when fed as recommended, the new large breed puppy formulas are scientifically formulated with reduced fat and calories.

Large breed puppies mature at a slower rate than smaller breed puppies and may take up to 2 years to reach adult size. This difference in maturation rate is why it's important to feed a large breed formula until full maturity.

Research at the Purina Pet Care Center indicates that avoiding overfeeding of puppies may help their development. Maintaining ideal body condition is key to encouraging proper growth in all puppies, especially large breeds.

We hope you find this information helpful and will contact us with any additional questions.

Again, thank you for visiting our web site.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

Two years on puppy food ? --- I fed my lab PP Large Breed Puppy for 18 months and I thought that was long. (my breeder had recommended this) -- Many knowledgeable people said I could take him off at 6 months. In any event my lab is doing really well - but I guess there's a bunch of different opinions as to what's best. Everyone says not to overfeed - so I guess that's the standard.

I did just what Purina said, two full years. I couldn't be happier with my dogs physical development, now if I can just figure out how long until he grows some calm and patience!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I have a rule of thumb here-- when my pup (females weigh ~55# at 1 yr, so not "large" by most standards) starts to loose weight on 4 cups of food a day (or whatever we had plateau'd at), it's time for us to change to a more calorie dense food, so that's when I've been switching in recent years. It's hard to get them to eat much more than 2 C at a meal otherwise. I think Purina's rule of thumb is good for the average pet owner, but just not sure that most of us are considered "average". I know my dogs get far more exercise than those in my pet homes, and probably not as much as some of you may give.

2 yrs. for the working dog also.
    Jason

I was considering taking my 10 month pup that is probably around 70 lbs (maybe a little less) off of PP large breed puppy formula. I've talked to knowledable people (At least I thought they were) that have done it before a year. Could this have negative results?

Sounds a little excessive to me. Pups are 90% grown at one year. So I dont see the need for puppy food after that. As for the large breed stuff I just dont know and probably never will know just what is best. Somebody says this and somebody says that.
    I feed Exclusive and I have been comparing the large breed puppy 27/14 to the regular adult, 26/15 and there is hardly a difference in ingredients across the board

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    Sounds a little excessive to me. Pups are 90% grown at one year. So I dont see the need for puppy food after that. As for the large breed stuff I just dont know and probably never will know just what is best. Somebody says this and somebody says that.
    I feed Exclusive and I have been comparing the large breed puppy 27/14 to the regular adult, 26/15 and there is hardly a difference in ingredients across the board
    It is a little excessive when you're talking about Lab pups. That's why I've been switching mine to either the (Pro Plan) Perf or the regular Chick & Rice Adult (both are rated for "all life stages" so this means they're still fine for growing pups) at about 4-6 months.

Here's the thorough explanation (and this is where it can get a bit confusing)...While Labs are most often grouped in with the "Large" Breed dogs because they tend to have the same joint issues, they aren't truly a "Large" breed dog. In fact, the standard actually describes them as a medium sized dog. And you'll find that's true when you compare Labs with other "Large" breed dogs such GSDs, Danes, Newfies, several Hounds, etc. So, their nutritional needs can be slightly different in comparison to other "Large" dogs- hence, why a lot of people do not wait a year or two to switch their Lab pups to Adult food. Having said that, Calcium & Phosporus as well as over all caloric intake needs to be watched carefully in Lab pups. Too much Ca & P can lead to joint malformations (because young pups don't have a mechanism to excrete excess Calcium) and too many calories can lead to the pup being overweight- which leads to joint problems as well.

Most Adult foods (though not all) these days do have acceptable levels of Ca & P for a "Large" breed pup, but you still need to read the label and be careful. And as long as you watch your pup's weight (keeping your pup on the lean side), you should be ok with the extra calories as well. Also, keep in mind that the amount of Ca & P listed in the Guaranteed Analysis is often a Minimum and not a Maximum, meaning the amount that's actually fed can be slightly higher than listed. This is why I personally won't feed a food that has more than a Min of 1.2% Ca listed in the GA to a growing pup.
    ~Darcy Litzinger~
    Kinderwood Labradors
    BOB AKC CH ptd/BOB UKC CH/RBISP Intl/Nat Jugend CH Hayshaker's Kinderwood Charmed One CGC "Piper"
    AKC BOBP/UKC CH PTD Hayshaker Kinderwood Where R U Xmas "Faith"

Gone too soon...
    HIT UCD Intl/Nat CH ptd/UKC CH ptd Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10...love you, "baby girl"!

I feed all of my pups Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy food until they are 10 months old. Then I switch them to Adult Pro Plan (chicken). I got 6 pups that will turn 4 weeks old on the 28th of February and I've started them on large breed puppy, blended up (2 times a day). Mom still wants to feed them, but it won't long. They are getting some nice little razors. When they go to their new homes I always send enough food for 4 days. The new owners can feed whatever they want after that. I do recommend the large breed puppy to them. All of my dogs do very well on it.

Bluebill, I would be interested to know if you follow the feeding quantity recommended on the Pro Plan bag (1 to 1 1/3 cups per day) for your pups or do you feed more?