The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Purina Response- Feeding Large Breed Puppies

I'm curious of opinions and data about calories and CHD. Some references to studies seem to point to restricted caloric intake as a means of slowing the progression of growth as the factor in reducing the incidence of CHD, but I can't find any specifics of the studies. It seems that the pups that had the greater incidence of CHD may have been slightly overwieght and that is the cause. Or is possible that there is a caloric corellation and that feeding more calories, even though the pup is not over weight, could speed their growth and still help contribute to CHD?
    Terry "Bud" Cunningham
    Kankakee River HRC

Quote Originally Posted by Bud View Post
    I'm curious of opinions and data about calories and CHD. Some references to studies seem to point to restricted caloric intake as a means of slowing the progression of growth as the factor in reducing the incidence of CHD, but I can't find any specifics of the studies. It seems that the pups that had the greater incidence of CHD may have been slightly overwieght and that is the cause. Or is possible that there is a caloric corellation and that feeding more calories, even though the pup is not over weight, could speed their growth and still help contribute to CHD?
    Good questions, seems the deeper I delve into this subject the more questions come arise.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

Senior Member webfootkennel of IL's Avatar

Pro Plan Performance has puppy guidelines, if thats not a correct nutrition formula for puppies why does Purina have puppy feeding guidelines? As often as Purina changes the formula, color and shape of the feed, I have a hard time keeping up.

Regular Pro plan will not keep my dogs in condition they all lose condition and the amount fed has to be ramped up beyond the guidelines.

The size of my kennel runs and the type of personality eat up alot of dog calories in my kennel ( 4X16 ) runs, add 2x a day work outs and I'm up to 4-8 dry cups of Pro Plan Performance per day.
    To prove the point to myself, if I put a thin dog thats very active in the 4 x 16 run, in an isolation kennel 3 x 8 the dog will gain weight on the same volume of feed.

Dog food is a marketing tool for all the major Nutrition companies, the more sizes shapes age ranges etc they can market the more we buy

Good luck figuring it all out

Thumbs up

D Beard supplied me with contact info for Brian Zanghi, PhD at Nestle (parent company of Purina)who does research on K-9 nutrition. After talking with him today he said he would try to post here on RTF on the issue of feeding large breed puppies. Looking forward to what he has to say. It should be informative.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

After having some growth issues with Hitch, my male (nearly 2 yrs, 87 lb) I have done a lot of research on large breed puppy food and growth issues....what I have learned is that protien/fat ratio is important for these larger breeds - esp heavier boned animals...also caloric intake is important.....

I have switched to Eagle Pack Large Breed Puppy for our new pup - Hitch's half sister, who looks like she will be a big girl too (34lb @ 15 weeks)...she is doing quite well on it....

http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/SP_LGPuppy.html
    Last edited by Juli H; 03-03-2008 at 06:12 PM.
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by sky_view View Post
    Good description of what to look for and what to consider in adjusting the food to your dog. "Keep the puppy lean, but not skinny. On a dog with a smooth coat, I want to just barely see the last rib if the dog is standing."
    Terry "Bud" Cunningham
    Kankakee River HRC