The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's fault?

Senior Member Sharon van der Lee's Avatar

Default Who's fault?

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ad.php?t=23065

Don't really know the full circumstances, but when I have bitches in season, there are no accidental matings. She is supervised/confined constantly. If she was left unattended in a backyard and the male got in, I would say it was my fault, not the neighbours.

Kristie Wilder

I agree... And with that said, I will admit that twice, I left (once each two of my bitches) two of my bitches in positions where they were possibly bred. One was 3.5 weeks out and I brought her back to air and in very short time she was tied with a chessie... The other, sadly, I literally forgot outside when I was airing her... Either of those pregnancies, which didn't come to fruition, would have been MY fault. My girls are under lock and key when they are in heat.

-K

It takes two to tango. But we don't know the situation, so lets not start a bad thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cstallings View Post
    It takes two to tango. But we don't know the situation, so lets not start a bad thread.
    That was stated in the first post on this thread.

Two folks that know their way around the block have commented on how they handle bitches in season. How does that consitute a bad thread? No slams, no digs, just their "how to" in order to help someone avoid this situation. I'm guessing that if the person that put up the first thread that was referred to had it to do over again, they'd do some things differently.

Sound info from my perspective....and I'll add that if the dog can't get to the bitch, there will BE no breeding.

Just sayin'.......

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

It is not an easy thing to do (says the guy who just had two come out of heat last week). Separation and constant supervision is necessary. Checking to assure that all kennels are secure is very important even if you don’t have a dog that generally breaks out of things. We do not put “clips” on the kennels normally, but when someone is in heat all the kennels are secured with a lock or clip of some kind because both male and female can become escape artist during this time. I had an accidental mating once with a male that I would have sworn was too young. Fortunately there was no conception, but it just goes to show you that the unexpected can and does happen.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post
    That was stated in the first post on this thread.

Two folks that know their way around the block have commented on how they handle bitches in season. How does that consitute a bad thread? No slams, no digs, just their "how to" in order to help someone avoid this situation. I'm guessing that if the person that put up the first thread that was referred to had it to do over again, they'd do some things differently.

Sound info from my perspective....and I'll add that if the dog can't get to the bitch, there will BE no breeding.

Just sayin'.......

kg
    Never said one was started...just said lets not start one. I read that original thread before it was reposted and thought pretty much the same thing as the previous posts. I just didn’t see the point in reposting it for people to start a debate over. Maybe that’s my passive side. I’ve also seen a lot of people get bashed on here lately for asking questions. It seems that if you ask the wrong question or say the wrong thing you can get persecuted on here. I would rather see informative information and not the blame game. An informative thread would be “how do you handle bitches in season” not this guy was wrong and he said he was right. My point is there are proper ways to handle every situation. Bringing this guy into a debate when he didn’t “openly” ask for it is probably not the best thing. It just might run him off…like others lately. Just my two cents.

Life on this cattle ranch.....
    Bitches in season pose no threat to themselves, that is they won't get themselves pregnant.
    Males and females are aired separately 95% of the time. When a bitch is in season she is separted from the boys, kept in a crate in the house or basement and exercised ALONE, or with other bitches only. This is also for the boys it is extremely stressful for them to be parked next to a "hot" girl and be expected to behave morally. I hear about oops and truthfully can't get a handle on it. Of course anyone who has seen this place understands, because when it was built it way "over thought" Besides I'm way too anal to take my eye off them for 2 seconds. Hope it all works out.
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

Although I don't think any dog should be allowed to run the neighborhood impregnating bitches, I believe it's the bitch-owner's responsibility to keep a close eye on their bitch during that time. This renegade dog didn't pick a lock on a door and break into her crate to do the deed. She had to have been left alone for a time...even if only for a minute or two. This "stud" had to have been well known in the neighborhood to have 3 mutt litters.

I'm not dogging on anyone, mistakes happen. I just don't think the dog owner should hold all the blame when the bitch was in a position to be impregnated in the first place.
    Page

"Take pride in how far you have come, and have faith in how far you can go!" ~Christian Larson

Senior Member Sharon van der Lee's Avatar

So, this is promoting some interesting discussion, which was the reason for introducing this topic and highlighting a bitch owner's dilemma. Nothing slated against him, I'm sure he has had many "would have, should have" thoughts.

Bottom line is, when your bitch is in season, you should watch her like a hawk or keep her confined. Only one time, we came back from training and my husband "forgot" about said bitch and let her out to air with all the dogs, including our intact male. Nothing happened, thank goodness, but I got a new watch as a gift for the grief. So ladies, maybe there is a good side to this.

Banned

But really, shouldn't you be able to turn your dog loose in your back yard and feel confident that your neighbors are taking care of their dogs? Provided your dog stays in your confined yard.

Lets say, instead of a bitch in season, you have an intact male. The neighbors dog digs in or climbs over a fence, gets into your yard and a fight ensues. A thousand dollar vet bill is the result.

Whose fault is it now?

While having a bitch especially in season, is ultimately the responsibility of the owner, I do feel that you should not have to CONFINE a neighbors dog OUT of your yard. The neighbor should take that responsibility.

WRL