The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Tail Gate vs. Net?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always keep it on.

57 85.07%
  • Sometimes I take it off, but always put it back on.

7 10.45%
  • I took it off and never put it back on.

0 0%
  • what is a tail gate?

3 4.48%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tail Gate vs. Net

Default Tail Gate vs. Net

Tail Gate vs. Net
    In the time I have been driving I have owned 8 vehicles with tail gates. At some point I have taken every one of them off briefly for a task of some sort. But always put them back on after the task. This past weekend I had the tail gate off for a task and while puttering next to the truck I noticed my older dog, who hasn't gotten into the back of the truck by herself in years, was in the truck. So I asked her "How did you do that?" and she replied "Wroo wroooooo" and showed me how easy it was for her to step down from bed to bumper to that plate under the number plate to ground. And then back in again, she was so proud of herself, and I didn't have to get the ramp out. There is a lot of times that the tailgate is a pain. I am seriously considering removing and using one of those nets to keep clutter in. How many of you have permanently removed your tailgate? Is it bad for the truck bed? What about the breeze blowing back at the dog boxes? What about gas mileage?

Ken Bora
    Last edited by Ken Bora; 02-27-2008 at 07:37 AM.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

On the show Mythbusters they did a segment on this subject. As i remember the mileage was best with the tailgate up but it has been a while sense i have seen it. I believe it was a big surprise but had something to do with the circulating air currents. hope this helps

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by moose203 View Post
    On the show Mythbusters they did a segment on this subject. As i remember the mileage was best with the tailgate up but it has been a while sense i have seen it. I believe it was a big surprise but had something to do with the circulating air currents. hope this helps

Jason

That's the way I remember it also.

It is actually a ticketable offense in many states Ken. Check with your DOT. The net is not considered a replacement for tailgate. Got the wallpaper to prove it.

Had a couple of toppers with a full door in back so the tailgate was removed. Will never do that again - the tail gate is like having a portable work bench on site at all times.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

I think what would be perfect then is a tailgate that is split in the middle. So it could open to the side, like barn doors. Or open down like a traditional tailgate. Or open one side down, other side to the side. That would Rock! does anyone make an add on gate like that?$$$$
    KNB
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Had my tailgate removed once....when I was in highschool I took my girl to the movies and when we came out we had trouble finding my truck. Well the reason we couldn't find it was because we were looking for a truck with a tailgate...someone had stolen mine while I was in the Movie. I later found out why someone would steal a tailgate...the replacement gate was something like $1500.00 dollars. I wanted to get one of those nets then.
    nobody can fully understand the meaning of love unless he is owned by a dog - Gene Hill

Quote Originally Posted by moose203 View Post

Jason

Yes I saw that too. Do a search about it on the internet and I think you will find decreased gas mileage as a result.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

The side swinging tail gate is actually a feature on the new Honda Ridgeline truck. You can either open it like normal or to the side.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

I can't remember to brand but, there is a company that makes an aftermarket gate like this.