The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: adverse reactions to frontline?

Default adverse reactions to frontline?

Have any of you had dogs who have had adverse reactions to Frontline?

The night before last, my husband put Frontline on our 10 month old BLM. The next morning, he was very lethargic, was drooling a bit, and had a temp of 105.3. We took him to the vet -- her best guess is a reaction to the Frontline. His liver is somewhat tender and his glucose levels were so low they almost didn't register on the bloodwork. He's still feeling bad and has a temp hovering around 105. We've dosed him up on antibiotics and have been instructed to watch for any downhill turns.

I googled "adverse reactions to frontline" and found several skin-type reactions (itchy rash, etc.) but nothing this severe. Anybody else had a similar situation after giving Frontline?

Thanks in advance!

Found frontline to be causing small litters. Also have heard of other reactions. There was a thread about two or three months ago on this. May what to try and look it up.

just wondering how a reaction could cause a fever that high?? could you fill me in?? i am just wondering. I often question all products and chemicals we put on our animals. a friend used a flea product on their cat and she died from a heart attack.. some many questions? so little answers.. I hope your dog will be okay, prayers for a full recovery, how heartbreaking for you,,maria

Frontline (fipronyl) remains one of the safest flea/tick products out there. I believe the article and photos I saw a few years ago involved just skin reactions-- and it was the "Plus" product that contains the flea/egg killer.

I stick w/ the plain Frontline here as ticks are the reason for me to use it in the spring time-- fleas arent a problem where I live. I've also found it lasts a good 40 days (vs 30 as the label reads).

Interesting that you think it lasts longer Windycanyon. I was consistently pulling ticks off my dog the last week of every month and my vet said that they had talked to the Frontline company and that it was safe to apply every 3 weeks during the height of tick season--which is about 7 months long here.

I don't like using the extra chemicals but it is better than Lyme's which about half the dogs in my area test positive for, even when their owners use Frontline. The ticks are just so bad around here.

DH

I Had A Blf That Lost Most Of Her Hair And Had Flaky Skin With Pusy Sores With Blood In Them But 7 Other Dogs With No Reaction

If I lived where Lyme was a problem, I'd not take chances either. We are fortunate to not have lyme disease in C. WA (yet..). The Dept of Health did a survey a couple years ago again in which several of us collected our little tick friends for submission. We seem mostly to have the common dog tick I believe. Perhaps they are more sensitive to the product than what you have?

I treat mainly for my own sanity-- they gross me out-- but your point is very important and well taken. I hope the poster finds the source of the problem quickly. Please let us know. Anne

I have always had concerns also about putting chemicals on my dogs. I have a friend that bought a started lab. I think he was somewhere between 2-3 years old when he got him. He was totally healthy with no issues. After my friend purchased him, the dog started having seizures. It was terrible. He took him to the vet and they could not find what was causing his seizures. The dog continued for several years having seizures to the point he could not be hunted any longer. Finally another dog person ask about the seizures and told my friend he was going to send him an article on "Seizures and Dogs Using Frontline." My friend took the dog off Frontline a year or two ago and to this day the dog is seizure free!