Dog: 26 month old YLF running HT as MH
Outside temperature ~72 degrees
5:30am Fed 1/4 of normal morning feeding (1/2 cup of dry food)
8:00am-10:00am Water Training Session (training 2 dogs)
– Ran two 125+ yd water marks, short break, and two 100 yard water blinds w/ short break in between
– Noticed on exiting water after blinds that dog was uncomfortable, bloated (swollen belly) and trying to throw-up
– Appeared to be ok after walking around and urinating
– Ran one more 150 yard water blind. Dog again appeared to be uncomfortable, bloated and trying to throw-up
– Walked dog around for ~20 minutes when dog did throw up a white fluffy foam (like beaten egg whites)
- Dog still very uncomfortable but not as bloated looking
– Dog started to moan, whimper and drooling clear saliva
11:30am Took dog to emergency animal hospital
– Diagnosis was: “bright, alert and responsive” w/ “vital parameters within normal limits” (HR=100, RR=24/min, T100.3F)
- so "nothing" appeared to be wrong with her
Following day took to local vet: X-rays, snap 4 panel, and blood work normal
At this point, she did appear to have cold tail which continued for the next couple days.
It was almost a week before she started to act normal which is when we started training again. We have been training for about a week now and she is still not performing at the level that she was. Her blinds are good but she is really struggling on her marks, which she has never had troubles with in the past. She is just NOT the dog she was 2 weeks ago, before the incident described above.
The vets have no answers, could this have been water intoxication?
If so, what should have been done after it happened so that I will know what to do if it ever happens again?
If not water intoxication, does anyone have any other ideas?
Any help would be greatly appreciated?