The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Fc/afc- Wood River's Franchise???

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    This is an old thread *please note the date from the original poster*

Hoping maybe a few previous posters have kept in touch with some of the above mentioned breeding's and have updates on the pup's.

In light of the recent top 10 stud thread ,I thought I'd refresh this thread to see if anyone has follow ups on Shaq puppies. I have been told that he would be a good match for a stud with my BLF. What characteristics have the females possessed that have produced? Any qualities that stand out in the female that have produced exceptional breeding's ,or female names to research.

I have researched him and his offspring on huntinglab pedigree,but that does not fully explain the temperament, trainability and other characteristics of the females that may aided in producing litters and my decision of what stud to use.

Also feel free to add any info on Shaq's qualities as I don't know a lot about him and the quest for a stud is a long road ,and since I have plenty of time I would like to do my research carefully and narrow the choices down.

Thanks
    What and Why were you told that? I have seen a few Shaq pups up close and personal along with Shaq himself in his heyday, He was as fine a marking dog as any, seems to throw good looking dogs too..I have not researched who he has been bred to, but he brings a heck of a lot to the table...You do know that Shaq's owners will not breed to untitled bitches, which eliminates a lot of potential hook ups...but their dog, their choice
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    What and Why were you told that? I have seen a few Shaq pups up close and personal along with Shaq himself in his heyday, He was as fine a marking dog as any, seems to throw good looking dogs too..I have not researched who he has been bred to, but he brings a heck of a lot to the table...You do know that Shaq's owners will not breed to untitled bitches, which eliminates a lot of potential hook ups...but their dog, their choice
    I'm not sure the titled bitches only part is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles C. View Post
    I'm not sure the titled bitches only part is true.
    unless Mr Fruehling has changed and softened his stance it was MH titled bitches or higher to breed to Shaq

A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Bon ,on huntinglab under offspring there is a total of 23 dams and 7 are not listed with titles and of the remaining one has a JH . If that be the case she has only cycled once a year which was last week,and we are far from being done playing the games.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    unless Mr Fruehling has changed and softened his stance it was MH titled bitches or higher to breed to Shaq
    He approved a breeding to my bitch who had no titles and only derby points. I decided against it because I want to do a natural breeding, but just throwing that out there. I think he decides on a case-by-case basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    Bon ,on huntinglab under offspring there is a total of 23 dams and 7 are not listed with titles and of the remaining one has a JH . If that be the case she has only cycled once a year which was last week,and we are far from being done playing the games.
    Maybe Mr Fruehling has softened his stance on the issue,I just know from conversations with him and the ads he used to post on the RN...maybe since Shaq has been retired,the demand/interest for his semen has dropped...He and Mrs Fruehling are nice people, if you get an opportunity to breed to him,then I would take it..

I posted on this thread three years ago. The pup I posted about was sold to a Don Remein client and is in training there. She was on the derby list with 22 derby points. It is running opens now and has one jam in one. Her owner will be running her in amateurs also.

That was my litter to my bitch Missy. Out of that litter of 5, 4 made the US derby list and the other one made the Canadian Junior list. All of the pups in that litter are QAA'd. One is an FTCH in Canada at 3 years old, has US open and amateur placements. Another has an amateur placement. It was a small but nice litter.

Gordy Powers from California has one, I told Gordy when I sold him to him that I wanted to see Gordy handling that dog when Gordy was 100 years old. Looks like it's going to come true. Go Gordy!!
    Last edited by Howard N; 12-05-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

I sure like the Shaq pup I have. At 25 months old she won a 50 dog Qual and will run all age stakes this summer after having puppies this winter/spring.
    Mike Peters

Anyone on here happen to have a pup out of the Shaq x Ruby breeding?

Quote Originally Posted by justin300mag View Post
    Anyone on here happen to have a pup out of the Shaq x Ruby breeding?
    The Shaq x Ruby pups will be 2 years old on Dec. 25. I haven't kept up with their Derby results since the end of October.
    End of October, 9 pups of the litter had Derby points. Two pups did not run in any Derbies. One went to a hunt test owner. He will run his first hunt test in February (will start out in either Senior or Master).

Of the 9 pups with Derby points, as of the end of October...

2 are on the Derby list
    3 had 9 points
    1 had 8 points
    1 had 6 points
    1 had 3 or 4 points, could have been 5 (I have to check again)
    1 had 2 points

We regret not keeping a pup from the breeding. It was not the right time for Don to start training a new pup. He wanted to focus on getting Ruby back into training after puppies and he wanted to focus on running her daughter Sally in the Open and Amateur.
    Sally is now close to her AFC title. We will be breeding Sally to Nike (AFC Rockliff's Justdoit) in January or Feb when she comes into season. We will keep a pup from that breeding.

Proud breeder of the Shaq-Ruby puppies,
    Helen Graves
    Don's girls:
    FC AFC Flyway's Ruby B. Gonia - a Carbon daughter and now a grandma (my avatar)
    AFC Flyway's Long Tall Sally - Ruby's daughter
    Flyway's Iron Lady (Maggie) - Ruby's granddaughter. Maggie's the new puppy in the house.