The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats Your Breaking Point?

Cool Whats Your Breaking Point?

Gas prices are going through the roof with no end in site, at what point will you pull back and rethink your choices in the hobbies you pursue? Another thread talked about $100.00 entry fees, they will be here in 2009 you can bank on it. The next year will be one we can tell our grandchildren about if our children have enough money to start a family. Been through this before when the oil patch crapped out in the late 80's. The first thing sold was daddy's Rolex, the last was MOMMA'S and the aftermath is what we have now.

Happy Medium Regards

I hear ya Raymond.I added up the slips for a three day fishing trip in Venice,just for curiosity.$508.00...andwe have a houseboat.$260.00 was gas and oil. Weird thing is that we have a full house of dogs in training.With all the scarry news regarding the economy,I was bracing for a slow year.You are right though.If I think about having to work one dog for a month to go fishing for three days......hummmm I dont know.

Not only the gas price but we we're notified yesterday the Federal Govt will take out 25% on all of these listed. Sign on incentive, Referral incentive, gas allowance, T&E allowance( does not refer to reimbursements),Bonus, commission, severance, PTO payout, collect incentive, House allowance, other commissions, retro pay, taxable fringe, sales/svce incentives, standy (on-call), and relocation.

what I want to is what are we working for it sure isn't for us. they keep raising gas prices taxing the snot out of us at this rate we won't be able to feed our families no less our hobbies.
    Consciousness is the annoying time between naps

Hrch Gooses Black Moon Raising (deceased) (Moon)
    Uh Hrch Red Moon Prairie Schooner (600+) (Red)
    Hr Hh Harvest Moons Black Magic Woman (Jynxs)
    Red Moon's High Fly'N' Quack Addict (Otis)

While agree that it is quite expensive to trial dogs and go fishing/hunting, why not just cut back somewhere else?

Eating out
    Beer or other tasty alcohol
    Smokes

Just a few things to start...
    Princess Darla of Nottingham MH ***
    Copper's Darlin' Rascal "Spanky" ***
    Spanky's Darlin Rascal "Wheezy"

Yellow dogs rule the world!

Other than the smokes, the first two may be the only "luxuries" we can afford before too long........

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post
    Other than the smokes, the first two may be the only "luxuries" we can afford before too long........

kg
    LOL! I just thought I would throw that one in!
    Princess Darla of Nottingham MH ***
    Copper's Darlin' Rascal "Spanky" ***
    Spanky's Darlin Rascal "Wheezy"

Yellow dogs rule the world!

Tough times by so many! For me it's spending a lot of time training the dogs, maybe run one event a month and help out at a couple of clubs. It's the training that I really enjoy! Luckily, we don't have to travel too far to do that. Try and car-pool to events, share expenses with my training buddies. Cut back on the ginger ale with the Jim Beam!
    Peter Linn

Is he your best buddy or just a notch on your belt? Train to teach, be fair.

Choctaw's Esperando La Magica "Breeze" ** MH
    Surfer Joe II

http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=146721

Senior Member Paragon Retrievers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
    ginger ale with the Jim Beam!
    I'll have to try that. I'm thinking of trading the dirt bike and quads for a street bike to drive to work. Has any one saw the documentary by Aaron Russo "Freedom to Fascism" Its got a lot of info about the legality of taxes; that makes you think or get mad.
    Bird Dog Creedo:
    If I like it, it's mine. If it's in my mouth, it's mine. If I can take ot from you, it's mine. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine. If I'm chewing something up, all the pieces are mine. If it just looks like mine, it's mine. If I saw it 1st, it's mine. If you are playing with something and you put it down, it automatically becomes mine. If it's broken, it's yours.

Home of:
    SHR Drakeland's Thunder in the Marsh "Thor"
    SHR Paragons Marsh Royalty "Princess"

The only way we will get oil prices in check is to lower consumption period. And it appears the at $3.50 diesel prices they are still having 100+ dog opens…I don’t think $100 entry fees or even $200 entry fees will stop people from playing the game. I think their will be some people who leave the game over higher cost but that is in everything. I know guys that don’t go fishing every weekend sighting the cost of gasoline. Hell I don’t own and expensive watch because that is where I chose not to spend my money.

I think my breaking point changes everytime prices go up!