The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 105

Thread: Pro Plan smoe plan

  1. #1
    Senior Member Steve Shaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cornish Utah
    Posts
    1,461

    Angry Pro Plan smoe plan

    I'm very much sold on the food I'm feeding. However I have one 8 month old that has very loose stools off and on. No problem other than that, looks and acts great. So far over 2 hundred bucks in vet bills to try and fix it. So before I go back to the vet I thought I'd try and switch food.
    For the life of me I dont see what ya'll see in Pro Plan. According to the research I've done on all ingredience Pro Plan is junk. Euk compares more favorably to what I feed but $43 a bag just sucks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member BIG DOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NE TX
    Posts
    518

    Default

    i am trying out the natural series by diamond its corn free, on paper its compairable to euk lb puppy (diamond actually has more protien) so far the consensus is this, when i mixed PPP lb pup w/ Diamond LB pup she pushed the Purina away to eat the diamond.

    since it is corn free there shouldn't be a alpfatoxin incident

    btw my reason for feeding this is, i wanted a food that was euk quality, since euk not avaliable in my imediate area

  3. #3
    Senior Member Steve Hester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    1,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    I'm very much sold on the food I'm feeding. However I have one 8 month old that has very loose stools off and on. No problem other than that, looks and acts great. So far over 2 hundred bucks in vet bills to try and fix it. So before I go back to the vet I thought I'd try and switch food.
    For the life of me I dont see what ya'll see in Pro Plan. According to the research I've done on all ingredience Pro Plan is junk. Euk compares more favorably to what I feed but $43 a bag just sucks.
    Millions of very healthy dogs might indicate that your research is junk.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

  4. #4
    Senior Member KNorman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Prairieville, La
    Posts
    1,083

    Default

    There are many good premium dog fuels available. Why don't you try some others that might agree with your dog. One size doesn't fit all

    Just because it doesn't agree with your dog doesn't mean it's crap food.

    Personally, I had just OK success on ProPlan but I like PMI Exclusive much, much, much more. My dog has nice tight BM's on it. But I have a buddy who doesn't care for Exclusive because his dogs get loose....go figger

    Same research material/staff (before the split between Ralston Purina and Purina Mills Inc.) better ingredients and costs less. Maybe you could give Exclusive a try?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Steve Shaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cornish Utah
    Posts
    1,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Squirrel View Post
    There are many good premium dog fuels available. Why don't you try some others that might agree with your dog. One size doesn't fit all

    Just because it doesn't agree with your dog doesn't mean it's crap food.

    Personally, I had just OK success on ProPlan but I like PMI Exclusive much, much, much more. My dog has nice tight BM's on it. But I have a buddy who doesn't care for Exclusive because his dogs get loose....go figger

    Same research material/staff (before the split between Ralston Purina and Purina Mills Inc.) better ingredients and costs less. Maybe you could give Exclusive a try?



    Exclusive is what I am feeding and I like it VERY much. I have seen great results from it with my own dogs as well as others that have switched to it. It's just this one pup that is loose. May not even be the food.
    Last edited by Steve Shaver; 03-04-2008 at 10:17 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Steve Shaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cornish Utah
    Posts
    1,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hester View Post
    Millions of very healthy dogs might indicate that your research is junk.

    Well thank you very much on your JUNK reply.
    Just adds to my frustration on dog foods. There are millions of healthy dogs on grocery store foods too but I'm sure as hell not gonna feed any of that stuff

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bob Gutermuth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    I've fed a variety of Pro Plan foods over the last 20 yrs and have yet to have a problem. I currently have 2 geriatric dogs on PP Senior a couple of trial dogs on Euk and the balance on Sams Exceed. No problems with any of the foods. It could be that some foods do not agree with all dogs digestive systems.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

  8. #8
    Senior Member ErinsEdge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,736

    Default

    Well, Exclusive may not agree with that dog. I have heard good things about Pro Plan Selects, but if Eukanuba works, I would rather pay the price per bag than vet bills. Have you given the dog some probiotics? Purina makes a supplement called Forti-Flora where you give a packet of probiotics on their food everyday for 30 days to change the intestinal mix and it does work very well on that type of diarrhea.
    Nancy P



    "We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

  9. #9
    Senior Member Ed Hogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    Exclusive is what I am feeding and I like it VERY much. I have seen great results from it with my own dogs as well as others that have switched to it. It's just this one pup that is loose. May not even be the food.
    I also feed Exclusive. All dogs do great on it except for Quasi pup. I had to go to adult with her, stools tightened right up. She was also about 8mo when I made the switch. I like Exclusive's performance and have no intentions of switching, not even for Euk.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Steve Shaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cornish Utah
    Posts
    1,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    Well, Exclusive may not agree with that dog. I have heard good things about Pro Plan Selects, but if Eukanuba works, I would rather pay the price per bag than vet bills. Have you given the dog some probiotics? Purina makes a supplement called Forti-Flora where you give a packet of probiotics on their food everyday for 30 days to change the intestinal mix and it does work very well on that type of diarrhea.


    Probiotics? What is this? A digestive enzyme suppliment? Where can I find Forti-Flora? I've been trying on the vets advice an enzyme suppliment called Prozyme. Been on it for about a week. Actually he thought it may help with the stool eating by digesting more of the food. He said even the best of foods are only about 70% digestable.

Similar Threads

  1. Pro Plan up date
    By badbullgator in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-29-2009, 01:06 PM
  2. Pro-Plan email RE: changes
    By Fowl Play WA in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 05:33 PM
  3. Eukanuba or Pro Plan
    By huntingrdr in forum Product Review
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-13-2007, 07:59 PM
  4. Eukanuba/Pro Plan
    By Michael Wilson in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-07-2007, 07:12 AM
  5. Pro Plan Selects
    By DL in forum Product Review
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 10:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •