RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Pro Plan smoe plan

23K views 104 replies 59 participants last post by  Steve Shaver 
#1 ·
I'm very much sold on the food I'm feeding. However I have one 8 month old that has very loose stools off and on. No problem other than that, looks and acts great. So far over 2 hundred bucks in vet bills to try and fix it. So before I go back to the vet I thought I'd try and switch food.
For the life of me I dont see what ya'll see in Pro Plan. According to the research I've done on all ingredience Pro Plan is junk. Euk compares more favorably to what I feed but $43 a bag just sucks.

#2 ·
i am trying out the natural series by diamond its corn free, on paper its compairable to euk lb puppy (diamond actually has more protien) so far the consensus is this, when i mixed PPP lb pup w/ Diamond LB pup she pushed the Purina away to eat the diamond.

since it is corn free there shouldn't be a alpfatoxin incident

btw my reason for feeding this is, i wanted a food that was euk quality, since euk not avaliable in my imediate area

#3 ·
I'm very much sold on the food I'm feeding. However I have one 8 month old that has very loose stools off and on. No problem other than that, looks and acts great. So far over 2 hundred bucks in vet bills to try and fix it. So before I go back to the vet I thought I'd try and switch food.
For the life of me I dont see what ya'll see in Pro Plan. According to the research I've done on all ingredience Pro Plan is junk. Euk compares more favorably to what I feed but $43 a bag just sucks.
Millions of very healthy dogs might indicate that your research is junk.

#4 ·
There are many good premium dog fuels available. Why don't you try some others that might agree with your dog. One size doesn't fit all :rolleyes:

Just because it doesn't agree with your dog doesn't mean it's crap food.

Personally, I had just OK success on ProPlan but I like PMI Exclusive much, much, much more. My dog has nice tight BM's on it. But I have a buddy who doesn't care for Exclusive because his dogs get loose....go figger :confused:

Same research material/staff (before the split between Ralston Purina and Purina Mills Inc.) better ingredients and costs less. Maybe you could give Exclusive a try?

#5 · (Edited)
There are many good premium dog fuels available. Why don't you try some others that might agree with your dog. One size doesn't fit all :rolleyes:

Just because it doesn't agree with your dog doesn't mean it's crap food.

Personally, I had just OK success on ProPlan but I like PMI Exclusive much, much, much more. My dog has nice tight BM's on it. But I have a buddy who doesn't care for Exclusive because his dogs get loose....go figger :confused:

Same research material/staff (before the split between Ralston Purina and Purina Mills Inc.) better ingredients and costs less. Maybe you could give Exclusive a try?

Exclusive is what I am feeding and I like it VERY much. I have seen great results from it with my own dogs as well as others that have switched to it. It's just this one pup that is loose. May not even be the food.

#7 ·
I've fed a variety of Pro Plan foods over the last 20 yrs and have yet to have a problem. I currently have 2 geriatric dogs on PP Senior a couple of trial dogs on Euk and the balance on Sams Exceed. No problems with any of the foods. It could be that some foods do not agree with all dogs digestive systems.

#8 ·
Well, Exclusive may not agree with that dog. I have heard good things about Pro Plan Selects, but if Eukanuba works, I would rather pay the price per bag than vet bills. Have you given the dog some probiotics? Purina makes a supplement called Forti-Flora where you give a packet of probiotics on their food everyday for 30 days to change the intestinal mix and it does work very well on that type of diarrhea.

#10 ·
Probiotics? What is this? A digestive enzyme suppliment? Where can I find Forti-Flora? I've been trying on the vets advice an enzyme suppliment called Prozyme. Been on it for about a week. Actually he thought it may help with the stool eating by digesting more of the food. He said even the best of foods are only about 70% digestable.

#11 ·
I use unpasteurized yogurt to repopulate bacteria after antibiotics. So, the pup w/ loose stool eats poop? Sounds like gut over-populated with bad bacteria. Metronidazole- yogurt- then keep away from stools.

#13 ·
We have fed a lot of different foods over the years, PP, Diamond, Nutro, Iam’s, Science Diet, and others. We have been feeding Pro Plan for the last few years with good results for both of our breeds (Labs, Rottie’s and one odd ball Flat Coat). It’s the only food we have found that both of the dogs do well on, by this I mean everything from stool to coat to weight maintenance to energy level.

But I’m certainly not above learning more, what issue's have you found with the ingredients in PP.

#19 ·
We have fed a lot of different foods over the years, PP, Diamond, Nutro, Iam’s, Science Diet, and others. We have been feeding Pro Plan for the last few years with good results for both of our breeds (Labs, Rottie’s and one odd ball Flat Coat). It’s the only food we have found that both of the dogs do well on, by this I mean everything from stool to coat to weight maintenance to energy level.

But I’m certainly not above learning more, what issue's have you found with the ingredients in PP.

For one too much grain at the top of the list. Even though chicken is listed as the first ingredient it may not make up the bulk of the food. For example PP largebreed puppy's ingredients list, chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal. It may have more chicken than the rice or the corn gluten but if you combine the two they may out weigh the chicken. Forth ingredient is poultry by product meal then whole grain corn and wheat. Also some PP list beef tallow pretty high up on the list and according to a web site I have looked at that breaks down the quality of ingredients individually claims that beef tallow is very hard for dogs to digest. Also PP does not list Omega 6 and 3 fatty acids in the analysist.
I know a lot of people including big name pros swear by Pro Plan and that's the only reason I am considering trying it with this pup. If not for that just from what I have read and by comparing ingredients I wouldnt touch it.

#15 ·
I have a 16month blf thats been on PPP for about 8months and always done very very well on it, healthy weight, coat, firm stools. The last bag I brought home she turned her nose up at it. I'm thinking "okay bad batch or something" until I try and feed her the PPP in my handlers bag from a recent hunt test. Scoffed at that too. I bought a bag of Diamond select athlete or something like that and she woofed it down... Anybody have a similar experience with a dog suddenly not wanting to eat what they've been fed on?

G
#20 ·
My pup was eating poop-sicles. My Vet told me to sprinkle a little meat tenderizer on his food. He said it passes through the dog and makes the poop smell bad to the dog. He stoped eating the poop in less then a week. I stoped using the meat tenderizer and he has not gone back to eating poop.

#21 ·
Steve, does the feed your pup is on use beet pulp for fiber? If so, you might well want to give something without it, like PP or Purina One, a shot. Over the past several years, we've tried (for fairly substantial periods of time) Eukanuba, PMI, Arkat, Diamond and a feed store brand with beet pulp, and all have produced more poop (and gas) than feeds without.

(And, yes, folks I know beet pulp isn't supposed to act as a laxative, but it's been the common demominator in feeds that ran through my guys faster than feeds without. And, yes, I've tried feeding less - to the point of emaciating the dogs in the quest for firm turds from beet pulp feeds.)

Anyway, it's something to consider.

#23 ·
Steve, does the feed your pup is on use beet pulp for fiber? If so, you might well want to give something without it, like PP or Purina One, a shot. Over the past several years, we've tried (for fairly substantial periods of time) Eukanuba, PMI, Arkat, Diamond and a feed store brand with beet pulp, and all have produced more poop (and gas) than feeds without.

(And, yes, folks I know beet pulp isn't supposed to act as a laxative, but it's been the common demominator in feeds that ran through my guys faster than feeds without. And, yes, I've tried feeding less - to the point of emaciating the dogs in the quest for firm turds from beet pulp feeds.)

Anyway, it's something to consider.

Yes it does have beet pulp. Something to consider thanks.

#24 ·
For the life of me I dont see what ya'll see in Pro Plan. According to the research I've done on all ingredience Pro Plan is junk.

Wow, pretty strong statement from a guy that can't spell ingredients. You want to believe when you see a post like this that people are bright enough to take it for what it is worth...maybe not. Exactly what research did you do before placing Pro Plan in the junk category?

For one too much grain at the top of the list. Even though chicken is listed as the first ingredient it may not make up the bulk of the food. For example PP largebreed puppy's ingredients list, chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal. It may have more chicken than the rice or the corn gluten but if you combine the two they may out weigh the chicken. Forth ingredient is poultry by product meal then whole grain corn and wheat. Also some PP list beef tallow pretty high up on the list and according to a web site I have looked at that breaks down the quality of ingredients individually claims that beef tallow is very hard for dogs to digest. Also PP does not list Omega 6 and 3 fatty acids in the analysist.
I know a lot of people including big name pros swear by Pro Plan and that's the only reason I am considering trying it with this pup. If not for that just from what I have read and by comparing ingredients I wouldnt touch it.

By law, the ingredients must be listed on the tag in the order of the percentage they occur in the formulation. For any manufacturer, it could be true that the second and third listed ingredients combined make up a higher percentage than that single first ingredient....so what. By the way, corn gluten meal is 60% crude protein, if it made up the portion of the formula you want us to believe the products crude protein would be off the charts. The comments about beef tallow are even further from the truth. Animal fats used in animal nutrition trade in 3 basic categories, the cheapest being yellow grease, followed by choice white grease and the most expensive, highest quality being beef tallow. Look at metabolizable energy of the formula if you want to begin to understand fat/energy. Finally, you should already know from your exhaustive research that linoleic acid is a Omega 6 fatty acid. You would also know that DHA and EPA are Omega 3 fatty acids. These Omega fatty acids are listed right there on the "analysist" as you put it. The Purina Pro Plan line is what it is, one of a small handful of premium canine diets available in commercial channels.

I would like to dispell another comment made in this thread. PMI and Ralston Purina do not share the same formulation and research team. PMI distributed Pro Plan through its dealers for 5 years following the sale by Ralston Purina of that division to another company. That distribution deal was not renewed at the end of five years. At that point, PMI entered the pet food market by having Doanes, the countries largest private label pet food manufacturer make its pet food. That relationship continues today with the exception of the Exclusive product which is made for them by Diamond Pet Foods.

#26 ·
For the life of me I dont see what ya'll see in Pro Plan. According to the research I've done on all ingredience Pro Plan is junk.

Wow, pretty strong statement from a guy that can't spell ingredients. You want to believe when you see a post like this that people are bright enough to take it for what it is worth...maybe not. Exactly what research did you do before placing Pro Plan in the junk category?

Well I can spell F@#$ U but I wont. So my fingers were moving faster than my brain BFD!! I'd rather go out and train with a guy that cant spell than an arrogant SOB that thinks he's better than someone else.

By law, the ingredients must be listed on the tag in the order of the percentage they occur in the formulation. For any manufacturer, it could be true that the second and third listed ingredients combined make up a higher percentage than that single first ingredient....so what. By the way, corn gluten meal is 60% crude protein, if it made up the portion of the formula you want us to believe the products crude protein would be off the charts. The comments about beef tallow are even further from the truth. Animal fats used in animal nutrition trade in 3 basic categories, the cheapest being yellow grease, followed by choice white grease and the most expensive, highest quality being beef tallow. Look at metabolizable energy of the formula if you want to begin to understand fat/energy. Finally, you should already know from your exhaustive research that linoleic acid is a Omega 6 fatty acid. You would also know that DHA and EPA are Omega 3 fatty acids. These Omega fatty acids are listed right there on the "analysist" as you put it. The Purina Pro Plan line is what it is, one of a small handful of premium canine diets available in commercial channels.

That's what I was askin foe is infoemashun alls yuz gotta do is sey so yuz dont neads to be a asshole.

I would like to dispell another comment made in this thread. PMI and Ralston Purina do not share the same formulation and research team. PMI distributed Pro Plan through its dealers for 5 years following the sale by Ralston Purina of that division to another company. That distribution deal was not renewed at the end of five years. At that point, PMI entered the pet food market by having Doanes, the countries largest private label pet food manufacturer make its pet food. That relationship continues today with the exception of the Exclusive product which is made for them by Diamond Pet Foods.

What ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#25 ·
I have a 9 year old with IBS/colotis ... FINALY a food we can live with! YOU GUESSED IT ... Purina Perscription EN formula (after many years of testing/trial and error with diet - all vet supervised)- ask your vet about it - it must be RX. Also - if your stuck on EUK - you may want to research their low residue formula also Rx.

#58 ·
I don’t think anybody said he was a bad dog trainer, but if your going to claim that you have done extensive research and present as some sort of “expert” you might add just a bit of credibility to yourself if you can spell the very thing you are researching.
Just saying regards

#47 ·
There are a number of inaccuracies and incorrect data found on this website. With that thought it mind it indicates there are more. And it hasn't been updated for four years.

FYI.

#30 ·
I offer Steve my slightly used "flak jacket". :-D :p

#32 ·
I might also want to point you guys jumping all over Steve to another website: dogfoodanalysis.com. I'm not trying to argue sides - I haven't been around long enough to have tried too many of the foods out there - but as far as the quality of the ingredients go, PP leaves a lot to be desired.
-Bill

#34 ·
Man STEVE!!!

Next time I wannna draw attention to my ownself,, I'm a gonna remember this and slam someones kitty food!!:p

Jealous regards

Gooser

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.