The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't oversleep this weekend. FYI!

Default Don't oversleep this weekend. FYI!

This is the earliest we will ever "spring forward" while losing an hour of sleep Sunday Morning, March 9th. And that's not all that's early this year.

Easter is always the first Sunday after the 1st full moon following the Spring Equinox (which this year is March 20th). This is based on the lunar calendar the Hebrew people used to identify Passover, which is why it moves around on our Roman calendar.

Easter could actually be only one day earlier (March 22nd) than it is this year, but that is extremely rare. How rare you ask?

The last time it was March 22nd was 1818. (anyone you know see it then?) But then you could wait for the next time you can roll out the Easter eggs on March 22nd...2285. Remind your grandkids to remind their grandkids to watch for it.

The next time Easter will be this early again, and I can hardly wait, is the year 2160, a measly 152 years from now. The last time many of you may recall Easter happening this early was 1913. Had my father lived to his 100th birthday this year, (On March 12th as a matter of fact), I'm guessing he would have regaled us with his recollections of finding his Easter egg in one of the 50 foot deep snowbanks that covered the ground during his spring childhood.

More info than you wanted to know I'm sure. But you never know when you are on stage going for a million bucks, and you get a trivia question on this topic. I'm sure you will want to share some of your winnings with your old Uncle Bill eh?
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Uncle Bill
    I for one have wondered how early Easter has been. I was born on Easter Sunday, March 25, 1951. It has never again been on my birthday. Thanks for the info
    Glenda

Speaking of DST, does anybody hate it as much as I do????? Because of my work schedule, I have to train early in the morning and I have to be done by 8:30. Lately the sun has been up at about 6:45 so it worked out ok. Now, its going to be an hour later and there is no way I can get done by 8:30, thus no morning training until the days stretch out longer. I know some say they train in the evening, but here in Beaufort that is not possible as the hottest time of the day is near sundown. We may luck out and have a few more weeks where we can use the evening, but not long!!!!

Why can't we just leave it the way it is and have more light early in the day when you can use it??????
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I pity my students Monday Morning. It will be hell on earthto have me there looking at them on a cold March day at what I consider 7:15 am. My dogs will be grumpy as hell too. HATE it.
    Hate driving to work in the dark too.
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.

Apparently not very many golfers in South Carolina eh? If memory serves me correctly, they were the heaviest lobby for daylight savings time, if not the originators.

Here in fly-over country, it's not a bad situation...especially during hunting season. No such thing as having to get in the field for goose hunting at O-Dark-30, like we did prior to DST.

It wasn't, however, our idea. Most of the farmers I know, along with the NAs (that's Native Americans to those not into such acronyms), thought the practice silly. Had one tell me it was like cutting a foot off one end of a blanket, and sewing it on the other end.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post

It wasn't, however, our idea. Most of the farmers I know, along with the NAs (that's Native Americans to those not into such acronyms), thought the practice silly. Had one tell me it was like cutting a foot off one end of a blanket, and sewing it on the other end.

UB
    Out here on the left edge the sun don't even get here until dang near mid day anyhow.

And our blankets don't have feet either.

But my jammies do though regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Thumbs down

Just more polictical management - I personally prefer God's time. Daylight Savings just always adds another hourto my day. Bah Humbug.
    A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

Just gives me an extra hour of daylight to see the snow piled up sky high.

Missin' my hour of sleep already regards,

Andy
    Andy

"You can't win until you are not afraid to lose."

Luckydux Cheese And Quackers CD MH - Briezy (7/20/99-4/4/14)
    FTCH AFTCH Luckydux Drakehaven Hot Ticket*** - Ticket
    Luckydux Gave Her Momma Forty Quacks*** - Lizzie
    Luckydux Quacker Jaxx WC JH - Jaxxy
    Luckydux Graham Quacker WC JH -Graham
    Luckydux Penny In A Parking Lot - Penny

I like it! COming home in the daylight so I can actually see to do something with the dogs in the slushy snow is pretty sweet!
    Princess Darla of Nottingham MH ***
    Copper's Darlin' Rascal "Spanky" ***
    Spanky's Darlin Rascal "Wheezy"

Yellow dogs rule the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post

Easter is always the first Sunday after the 1st full moon following the Spring Equinox (which this year is March 20th). This is based on the lunar calendar the Hebrew people used to identify Passover, which is why it moves around on our Roman calendar.

Easter could actually be only one day earlier (March 22nd) than it is this year, but that is extremely rare. How rare you ask?

The last time it was March 22nd was 1818. (anyone you know see it then?) But then you could wait for the next time you can roll out the Easter eggs on March 22nd...2285. Remind your grandkids to remind their grandkids to watch for it.

The next time Easter will be this early again, and I can hardly wait, is the year 2160, a measly 152 years from now.

Unkie Bill, Easter is on the 23rd this year. It also happens to be on the same weekend as our Spring trial. I'm already getting heat for offereing to grill burgers on Good Friday. A lot of folks beleive it to be a mortal sin to eat meat on Good Friday. My reply is, "Enjoy the burger and go to confession later. I'll put a Kosher pickle on it.". Anyway, when will we have to deal with Easter falling on the third weekend in March again? 2160? I may need a couple of decades to get the judges.

Thanks and in my household, we always eat rabbit for Easter!
    Last edited by Franco; 03-06-2008 at 07:53 PM.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345