The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: What should I do?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Run Senior only and handle him in Master (myself) later.

30 62.50%
  • Strike while the iron is hot, he may be hard to maintain at this level.

18 37.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: What should I do?

Default Poll: What should I do?

OK, here goes. I am an amateur trainer who has basically run out of time to train due to family and work issues, so I did something I've never done and I sent my dog to a pro. This will not be a long term arrangement because I cannot justify the cost and because our dog belongs at home with us (try telling my daughter otherwise).

He has only been w/ the pro for 1 month and he passed his first Senior test last weekend (I handled him). He is signed up for 3 more Senior tests in the next few weeks. I talked to my pro yesterday and he said that my dog is doing so well that he thinks that HE (not I) could get a Master pass on him at the end of this month (where he is already signed up for Senior). He said we could "double stake" him (I didn't know you could do that) and I could handle him in Senior and the pro could handle him in Master. He said he isn't ready to pass Master with me as his handler since I am not training him regularly. He is NOT trying to pressure me into doing this at all.

To summarize: I never thought I would send a dog to a pro, but I did. I never thought I would have the pro handle my dog in a test, but I am now considering it. So, should I just wait and handle him in all of his tests or should I let the pro handle him in Master?
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

It depends upon the dog.

Many dogs get higher and higher each time they're brought to the line. Bring them to the too many times over too short of a period and you could create some control issues. I would pick one test level and leave it at that.

Personally I would wait and handle him myself. You will enjoy it more.

Sounds like we're in the same boat....got a derby dog that I sent to a "new" pro for basics because I was working ALOT, too many hours and no time for everyday training. It was rough sending one of my "kids" out, but I had to or he'd never run.
    That being said, he's now on to another local pro to finish (water too cold for swimby with the first guy) and I'm anxious to get him back. I have pondered the question IF he were ready to run and I couldn't, would I want the pro to run him???
    My answer is probably not. It was difficult enough to send him out, because the joy in training is seeing my pups do something I taught or we learned together. Now I'm missing out on that. The only thing left is to run him and I'm not about to let anyone else have that fun! (OK, and alot of nerves from me, but that's part of the fun too!)
    My first dog was on autopilot...his raw talent was awesome and he'd look at me like I was an idiot, but hey, we got through together. He did well in spite of me! So if your handling needs improvement, it's YOUR dog and you'll get better together I guess.
    Just don't be offended when you get the eyeroll from your dog!
    =0)
    Real dogs don't wear "outfits"

Wiley's Firecracker*** JH 5/18/01-5/02/12
    Fargo's Most Wanted***
    Table Rock's Real McCoy***

This is just me, but if I were going to be at a test anyway running my dog I would want to run him in both stakes. If you feel you don't have enough experience to run Master than take him up on his offer I suppose, but it sounds as though your dog works well for you.

I sent my dog off for basics at 16 months (yea yea a lot later than most) & I never thought I'd use a pro either. He went back for a winter tune up that was cut short or he would have run his first Q too. But my goal was always to be the one to continue his training and run him because I like doing both.

How much do you enjoy running your dog? If you have good communication with the pro he shouldn't be offended if you want to run him.

It's great that he's ready for Master. Good luck in both stakes!

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Swampcollie View Post
    It depends upon the dog.

Many dogs get higher and higher each time they're brought to the line. Bring them to the too many times over too short of a period and you could create some control issues. I would pick one test level and leave it at that.
    That is a good point and one I had considered. My dog is pretty darn steady and the pro isn't worried about that.

Thank you for the reply.
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
    Personally I would wait and handle him myself. You will enjoy it more.
    That is what I would prefer to do, but he will likely get no more than 3-4 months of pro training and I'm wondering if I can get him back to the Master level this fall. That is the dilemna.

Thank you for the reply.
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

Wiredlabz, thanks for the input.
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Miriam Wade View Post
    If you feel you don't have enough experience to run Master than take him up on his offer I suppose, but it sounds as though your dog works well for you.
    I've never handled a dog in a Master test.

How much do you enjoy running your dog?
    Quite a bit...it is about all I've got left since I am not training him myself anymore. BTW, my pro encourages me to come train, but he is a long drive from me, so I've only trained with him twice in the month he has had my dog.

If you have good communication with the pro he shouldn't be offended if you want to run him.
    He would not be offended, but he doesn't think my dog is ready to run master with ME. He is working the dog daily and I guess they are clicking pretty well and obviously has much more experience than I do and he thinks he could get a master pass with him, but my dog is not ready to just step up there and smack a master test yet.

It's great that he's ready for Master. Good luck in both stakes!

M
    Thanks and best of luck to you too.
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

IMNSHO

If you want to run your dog and earn the accolades, then YOU should run your dog. If you are only after getting the MH title for bragging rights, then have the Pro run the dog.

Good Luck

Kris
    BLACKTAIL LABRADORS

"I never feel bad for myself" - Charles Barkley