The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethical Question

Default Ethical Question

This is not hypothetical. I have first hand knowledge that someone I know has decided to hang papers on some pups that have no relationship with either the sire or dam of this particular litter. I saw it done in the horse business a couple of times and thought it was chicken.... then and I really think this is as well. These extra pups aren't bad pups but apparently they are from a backyard breeding and although the dogs involved are probably purebreds how do ya know. I could mind my own business I suppose but this bugs me what would you do?
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Well, knowing that I have a big mouth, I would probably have to say something. I don't know exactly what though. Maybe our "friends" at AKC might want to know about that. But how would the person do that when the breeder always gets the registration number for the exact amount of puppies born? Why would the breeder do something like that?
    Princess Darla of Nottingham MH ***
    Copper's Darlin' Rascal "Spanky" ***
    Spanky's Darlin Rascal "Wheezy"

Yellow dogs rule the world!

Unethical to the n'th degree. Let your conscious be your guide. You must feel something like that, or you never would have posted it here. You probably should follow Chris's request though, that you post nothing to infringe upon someone else's name, reputation, or livihood.

Tough call,

JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Bruce,

Let them hang themselves, when one of those male dogs gets bred enough the AKC's required DNA will not match and the $hit will hit the fan.

JK
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

Quote Originally Posted by DEDEYE View Post
    Well, knowing that I have a big mouth, I would probably have to say something. I don't know exactly what though. Maybe our "friends" at AKC might want to know about that. But how would the person do that when the breeder always gets the registration number for the exact amount of puppies born? Why would the breeder do something like that?
    The breeders in it for the bucks, these pups are the same age as the pups in his latest litter so I guess when he reports he just adds a few. Buys em for $50 sells em for $500 as registered.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Quote Originally Posted by DRAKEHAVEN View Post
    Bruce,

Let them hang themselves, when one of those male dogs gets bred enough the AKC's required DNA will not match and the $hit will hit the fan.

JK
    The extra pups he has are females. Do the same rules apply? I'm not a breeder so I don't know.

For practical reasons, if you rat them out, will they know you did it?
    mrgd

DISCLAIMER
    "You may not think I'm funny but I do, please don't take anything I say seriously because it's probably not."

Quote Originally Posted by MRGD View Post
    For practical reasons, if you rat them out, will they know you did it?
    I'm not the only one that knows but if I do say something I will tell him where it's going to come from and why, I figure that's only right.

Senior Member Last Frontier Labs's Avatar

I can only add that I certainly wouldn't want to be one of his clients and I'm sure you wouldn't either... You should do the right thing.
    Sherri Young

"It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by saltmarsh View Post
    The breeders in it for the bucks, these pups are the same age as the pups in his latest litter so I guess when he reports he just adds a few. Buys em for $50 sells em for $500 as registered.
    Dang! That is quite the scam! Well, if you feel like saying something, then do. Maybe someone you know will be purchasing one of them. Do what you feel is right and don't think twice of it. You are obviously torn and that is why you made the post. Ugghh. What a hideous decision to make.

But one thing, what exactly are the consequences to you personally if you say something?
    Princess Darla of Nottingham MH ***
    Copper's Darlin' Rascal "Spanky" ***
    Spanky's Darlin Rascal "Wheezy"

Yellow dogs rule the world!