The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question for minnesotans

Default question for minnesotans

Hey does anybody know the state laws regarding training dogs on WMA's??? I used to know it but now I cant remember. I'll hafta find a book somewhere but was just wondering if anybody knew the rules. Thanks

WMA, WPA? There is a restriction on dogs being on WPA or state land from about April 15th through July 31st unless they are on a leash? Interesting note: Our Feds consider e-collar a leash. Don't think you can shoot game birds on WPA. I'd have state Dog Training Permit anyway. If WPA, call local office of Fish & Game.
    GY

The word "Politics," is derived from "Poly," meaning Many and from "Ticks," meaning Blood Sucking Parasites-Kinky Freidman.

Quote Originally Posted by greg ye View Post
    WMA, WPA? There is a restriction on dogs being on WPA or state land from about April 15th through July 31st unless they are on a leash? Interesting note: Our Feds consider e-collar a leash. Don't think you can shoot game birds on WPA. I'd have state Dog Training Permit anyway. If WPA, call local office of Fish & Game.
    Is there a resource somewhere that shows the feds view of ecollars as a leash?

/paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Thorstad View Post
    Hey does anybody know the state laws regarding training dogs on WMA's??? I used to know it but now I cant remember. I'll hafta find a book somewhere but was just wondering if anybody knew the rules. Thanks
    You need a Training Permit (free) to train dogs in Minnesota. When you apply for the permit you will need to specify where you will be training. If you are not the land owner, you will need written permission from the land owner/manager to obtain the Training Permit. In the case of a WMA, you would need written permission from the WMA Manager specifying where and when you can train.

Most WMA's in Minnesota (except Four Points) will allow you to walk fido on a leash, but will prohibit Hunting Dog Training.

From the 2007 MN hunting regulations at dnr.state.mn.us
    Dog Training
    A person may not train hunting dogs afield on DNR administered lands from April 16 to July 14. A person may train hunting dogs afield on other lands.
    A person training a dog afield and carrying a firearm may only have blank cartridges and shells in possession when the season is not open for any game bird, except by permit. An organization or individual may obtain permits to use firearms and live ammunition on domesticated birds or banded game birds from game farms for holding field trials and training hunting dogs.
    Contact a conservation officer to get a dog training permit. They are free.

From what I recall, dog training is not allowed on federal waterfowl production areas (WPAs).

I don't think there is a formal answer to the leash question that I know of but our local Feds consider an e-collar a leash. However, there is reference to a leash no longer than 8'. So, e-collar and short tab- there ya go! Anyway, the word "leash" often implies control so with e-collar, you have control. It all boils down to local enforcement. Our guys know the difference between retrievers and pointers, bear dogs, flushers, etc. and that we operate our dogs under control even when we train.
    GY

The word "Politics," is derived from "Poly," meaning Many and from "Ticks," meaning Blood Sucking Parasites-Kinky Freidman.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry V View Post
    From the 2007 MN hunting regulations at dnr.state.mn.us

Contact a conservation officer to get a dog training permit. They are free.

From what I recall, dog training is not allowed on federal waterfowl production areas (WPAs).
    Here's a link to Conservation Officer phone numbers from the MNDNR website.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/enforce...edirectory.pdf

HTH

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Schuna; 03-12-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampcollie View Post
    You need a Training Permit (free) to train dogs in Minnesota. When you apply for the permit you will need to specify where you will be training. If you are not the land owner, you will need written permission from the land owner/manager to obtain the Training Permit. In the case of a WMA, you would need written permission from the WMA Manager specifying where and when you can train.

Most WMA's in Minnesota (except Four Points) will allow you to walk fido on a leash, but will prohibit Hunting Dog Training.
    They changed the requirement on specific pieces of land in 05'. A training permit is valid statewide now. FT/HT's must still ID the area on the request.

The exact statute # is 97B.005
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Thanks all for your replies

I emailed the main office and they sent me down a small form. I filled it out (nothing big, just general info) and then sent it to your regional DNR office. They then sign it, stamp it and send it back. I didn't specify where I was training or anything like that. Pretty painfree.
    "If you have watched a pup learning the game, I do not have to tell you what it is like, and if you have not, I probably can't."- Datus Proper

-----------------------------------------------------

TNT Sailors Lil Hurricane Addie ***
    WR Cedars Field Blazing Tucker SH