The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Prostate problems in 5yo lab

Default Prostate problems in 5yo lab

My 5 year old BL was diagnosed with a urinary track infection and an inflamed prostate. First time he has ever had a problem and the only indication we had was he kept wanting to sit down all the time. We thought at first he may have hurt his back or hips so we took him in. He is on some strong antibiotics and a non-steroidal pain/anti-inflammatory medication. We need to bring him back in two weeks to see if things have cleared up. Have any of you had any experience with prostate problems? Treatments? Apparently neutering would be the next step, and that is not a big deal, but would that definitely solve any reoccurring problems?
    If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver.

Flyin High in the Passenger Side CD RN CGC - "Scrub"

K&D's Sweet Romancer RN CGC - "Eddie" - newest member of the family.

High Flying Storm Trooper - Trooper (02/25/03 - 07/26/09) - He gave us his all - We miss you big guy...run and play...

My male was 10 when I had him neutered because of an enlarged prostate. He didn't have an infection, but was constipated due to the intestine being cut off by the swelling. He was fine for the year he lived after that. His death had nothing to do with that particular problem, we decided to put him down due to severe arthritis.
    Castle Heights Gundogs

Mossy Oak Pro-Staff
    Sportdog Field Staff
    Drake Waterfowl Field Expert
    Buck Gardner Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Kerr View Post
    My 5 year old BL was diagnosed with a urinary track infection and an inflamed prostate. First time he has ever had a problem and the only indication we had was he kept wanting to sit down all the time. We thought at first he may have hurt his back or hips so we took him in. He is on some strong antibiotics and a non-steroidal pain/anti-inflammatory medication. We need to bring him back in two weeks to see if things have cleared up. Have any of you had any experience with prostate problems? Treatments? Apparently neutering would be the next step, and that is not a big deal, but would that definitely solve any reoccurring problems?

From what I have been told by our vet, it will greatly lessen the chance of any prostate and urinary tract problems.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

My last lab had a prostate infection.He became very sick very fast and I thought we were going to lose him.He was much older though.Maybe 11 or 12 or even older.He was semi-retired from hunting but one of his new jobs was getting the paper.He ran down the drive to pick it up and when he came back in he just laid down.We took him to the vet and his temperature was really high.They told us that it was going to be the most likely thing he might die of once he had that.He recovered and never had a prostate problem again.He lived to just shy of 16.

It's hard to tell if the bladder infection is due to the enlarged prostrate or if he has a bacterial infection in the urine. When you have a full blown prostatitis then your dog will be real sick. Dog's get bladder infections for many reasons (cystitis, bladder stones ect). After he is finished with his antibiotics and he has further problems then neutering maybe in order. If you want to keep him intact for breeding purposes then there are other treatments for an enlarged prostrate besides neutering him. If you arn't concerned with keeping his testicals then I would neuter him while he is "middle" aged vs waiting until he is older and you end up with more serious problems. If you want a second opinion on his prostrate I would recommend the Brownsville lomira small animal clinic in Lomira. They are a reproduction clinic and has alot of experience with that. My vet (whom I work for) said my intact male had an enlarged prostrate and then I took him into the repro clinic for a semen collection and freezing and had her feel his prostrate and she said it was normal. She said "I have felt more prostrates then any other doctor and I would know if his was enlarged". Usually you will also see problems pooping with an enlarged prostrate as mentioned in the other post.

Good luck,
    JoAnn Stancer
    Sandspring Chesapeakes
    MySpace Blog:
    http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ndID=442677052

To live for today

I had a Springer that had an "enlarged prostate" and multiple bladder infections. He was put on anti biotics and something to reduce the ph of his urine. It seemed to help for a while, but not long enough. I did not learn that neutering could have helped until after he died from it. It came on suddenly and he died with in 24 hours of noticeable symptoms, but it was not an easy experience. He was 10 but you would not know it he was full of energy and life. If I had known sooner I would have had him neutered.
    Terry "Bud" Cunningham
    Kankakee River HRC

Unhappy

Hi Donna,

This is my first post to the forum, so I hope I do it right!

Sadly, I have had recent experience with prostate issues...the results were not good. It would be helpful for you to KNOW if you are dealing with "simple" Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia or with prostate cancer. BPH is hormone related and will be positively affected by neutering. Prostate *cancer* in dogs is not related to hormones, with 4/5 of the dogs affected being neutered.

Last December, my 10 year old, intact Golden "Boon" had became incontinent, leaking urine. After blood work and urinalysis ruled out any kidney or bladder issues, we had an ultrasound done a local Specialty Centre. The vet there noted Boon's prostate was enlarged, so he did a needle biopsy. (I have since read that needle biopsies are not recommended on prostates, as they can "seed" out the cancer cells.) The results came back as "possible neoplasm" and recommended a surgical biopsy to confirm. By that point I had done a fair amount of reading and I knew that surgery on the prostate of a dog is not a simple, predictable procedure and it would cause other serious problems. We decided to have Boon neutered, to remove the hormones that *might* be contributing to simple "Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia". We were optimistic that that was the problem. Boon was neutered on December 29th. The vet sent Boon's testicles for biopsy, and they came back as having "interstitial cell tumours". Strange as it may sound, this was the "best case scenario", as this is a very non-invasive cancer. We hoped that this was the cause for the prostate inflammation and all would be well. We went on the assumption that there it was not cancer and started him on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories as well as some holistic treatments. We knew that prostate cancer in dogs is very aggressive and does not respond well to treatment. We waited to see if the leaking decreased, and planned do another ultrasound in a month or so. By the end of January, leaking had completely stopped. We were very pleased, thinking that it must "just" have been Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia and that the prostate inflammation was down due to the neutering. We believed a bullet had been dodged. Through out this whole ordeal, Boon never acted ill for even a moment.

Sadly, soon after the leaking stopped, Boon started to really strain while having a BM. A radiograph on February 7th showed that the prostate had blown up to the point that it was impinging his bowel...and it was likely putting enough pressure on urethra to stop the leaking. After seeing two vets and talking with the Care Centre, we confirmed that there was no reasonable, predictable treatment. Both of Boon's vets encouraged us to make a decision for Boon "sooner than later", that it was just a matter of days. Although he was a very stoic dog, I knew the next day that he was getting uncomfortable by the way he stood and how he moved, but he was still playing with our other dog, squeaking his toys, jumping on the bed and the couch and wanting to go for walks...and most of all, he wanted to eat. That was the most difficult part. I knew that the more he ate, the faster he would hit a critical stage. He had not had a BM for nearly five days. We had him euthanized at home, surrounded by the three people that loved him most. Boon was his trusting, happy, beautiful self, right to the end. It might be fitting that this extraordinary dog succumbed to something as rare as prostate cancer, which affects only 0.67% of males over 8 years of age.

You asked if anyone had any experience with prostate problems...and this is mine. I hope you have a much better outcome with your boy.

Mary Shillabeer
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Home of:
    "Spy" CH Justmoor Get Smart WC JH AGNS CD; GRCC VCI
    Forever in my heart:
    "Boon" MHR BISS CH OTCHX GMH Justmoor Boodacious WCX AGNS; GRCC VCX VHOF; Am CDX CGC; Am Can BVISS 09/25/1997 - 02/09/2008

"The mind is everything; what you think, you become." Buddhist Maxim

Donna,
    My 7 year old male golden survived a prostrate infection last winter.
    He tweeked himself the last weekend of goose and started uninating a little blood, some antibiotics supposedly cleared him up. A urine sample showed no ill effects.
    3 weeks after that he started urinating almost pure blood, was on IV antibiotics for almost a solid week.
    He layed in a kennel at the vets for almost 3 days without moving around.They were ready to send him to Cornell as they were running out of options.
    All the drugs worked, he made afull recovery.
    I've since neutered him, as to not take any more chances.
    Good luck with everything.