Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Republic isn't safe when Congress is in session! GDG

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Default The Republic isn't safe when Congress is in session! GDG

Michigan Congressman Wants 50-Cent Tax Hike on Every Gallon of Gas

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A Michigan congressman wants to put a 50-cent tax on every gallon of gasoline to try to cut back on Americans' consumption.
    Polls show that a majority of Americans support policies that would reduce greenhouse gases. But when it comes to paying for it, it's a different story.
    Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., wants to help cut consumption with a gas tax but some don't agree with the idea, according to a new poll by the National Center for Public Policy Research.
    The poll, scheduled to be released on Thursday, shows 48 percent don't support paying even a penny more, 28 percent would pay up to 50 cents more, 10 percent would pay more than 50 cents and 8 percent would pay more than a dollar.
    "I don't want to pay more, I don't think anyone wants to," said Karen Deacon, a motorist.
    "I think that wouldn't make any sense," said Frankie Hoe, a motorist. "Ugh ... who's making the money from all this and where is that money going? Is it going to go green? I don't see any green things anywhere."
    The automobile is the nation's biggest polluter; Americans use more gas than the next 20 countries combined.

Some environmentalists and economists say pain at the pump may be bad for Americans, but good medicine for a sick planet.
    But others say it wouldn't change much. Even if Americans abandoned their cars, global emissions would fall by less than one percent.
    "A tax on gas is a way to reduce dependence on import oil, reduce traffic congrestion and reduce carbon emissions," said Lester Brown, president of the Earth Policy Institute.
    The Earth Policy Institute proposes raising the gas tax 30 cents per gallon each year over a decade and offset with a reduction of income taxes, Brown said.
    David Ridenour, vice president of the National Center for Public Policy Research, said the proposal wouldn't help long term.
    "I think when you are talking about raising gas prices, there may be short-term reduction, put off vacations, but bottom line is over long term, that isn't going to have much of an effect," Ridenour said.
    While Dingell's idea will likely lie dormant until after the 2008 election, the idea of carbon taxes is not. Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and John McCain all support some type of system that either directly or indirectly will raise prices to penalize polluters.
    FOX News' William La Jeunesse contributed to this story
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

There are those that think that is a great idea!

I would imagine a Michigan congressman wanting a big tax hike on gas is sson to be out of a job or worse.
    TroyW

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

I doubt he will get the heave ho. This congresscritter is one of the senior members of the MI delegation.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Still cheaper then the war for the American tax payer.........
    I believe initial introduction 'pinch to open' FF doctrine is as progressive as shooting a dog with bird shot to get it to sit on a whistle. AS

*"That you are confused is VERY APPARENT. Are you a politician as well as a FORMER pro dog trainer who QUIT because YOU think that the trial game is all wrong?"

You would think that when gas prices are at an all time high, that our idiot lawmakers would lower gas taxes, not raise them. If the government wants to get their piece of the gas dollars, why don't they tax the big oil companies? They would never miss a few billion. Oh wait, that makes too much sense, doesn't stand a chance.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Help me understand: what is the difference in taxing gas at the pump and big oil companies who pass the tax on and you pay it at the pump?

They would also have to put price controls on the oil companies, which will also never happen.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hester View Post
    They would also have to put price controls on the oil companies, which will also never happen.
    Tax the corporation, then install price controls...
    Not exactly capitalism the way I remember it...

GO HILLARY!! (barf)

3DK
    I'm somewhat of a bulls#!tter myself... but occasionally I like to listen to a real pro...please carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 dog knight View Post
    Tax the corporation, then install price controls...
    Not exactly capitalism the way I remember it...

GO HILLARY!! (barf)

3DK
    I am usually very much in favor of capitalism. But big oil companies, both foreign and domestic, are holding this country hostage. That's not exactly capitalism either.