The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elected official do good with guns <<GDG>>

Default Elected official do good with guns <<GDG>>

Every great once in a while our elected officials do right. Yesterday our legislators passed the “Take you guns to work” bill. This bill allows those of us with a concealed weapons permit to keep our guns in our locked car at work regardless of the businesses rules about doing so. The fact that this passed and WILL be signed by the governor is absolutely amazing considering that fact that there have been 100’s of articles in the media about this and NOT ONE in favor of it. This sends a message to the rest of the country, in Florida we are allowed to carry firearms and we are allowed to use them without retreat in a situation where you are threatened. The Brady group and a couple of others started a campaign to hurt tourism in Florida when the no retreat law was passed and I am sure they will try again with the passing of this. One of the local stations decided to interview our sheriff on the subject and you could see the disappointment on the reporters face when the sheriff said he supported this and that he encourages people to obtain carry permits. God I love the Sunshine State. God, Guns, Gators, and Guts…….
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Congratulations. Indiana has followed some of Florida's leads in the past I hope that they will do so again.
    Terry "Bud" Cunningham
    Kankakee River HRC

Thumbs up

I'll aplaud your legislators for that one.
    Sugarfoots Rascal MH MNH, Master National Hall of Fame (Rascal)
    Leap'n And Pounce'n Sam I Am MH (Sammy)
    Cypress Creek Ramblin Fever MH (Cali)
    Oakridge Ramblin Rascal MH *** (MeToo)
    The Oakridge Highway Man (Bandit)

As a Libertarian, I don't believe that it is proper for the government to dictate policies of a privately owned company, even if I agree with the policy. I think a better approach would be to eliminate liability of the property owner who allows weapons on his premises. I seriously doubt that would ever happen.
    Kelly, Weis, Willingham, & Davies

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    As a Libertarian, I don't believe that it is proper for the government to dictate policies of a privately owned company, even if I agree with the policy. I think a better approach would be to eliminate liability of the property owner who allows weapons on his premises. I seriously doubt that would ever happen.
    Steve
    I suppose you could look at it as dictating the policy of the business owner, OR you can look at it as upholding the individuals right as guaranteed in the second amendment. Nothing in this says you can take your gun into a private business, just that you can keep YOUR LEGAL weapon in YOUR vehicle. Following your logic you would also then be saying that an employer has the right to prohibit free speech or freedom of religion because the government should not dictate what a private business owner does. I suppose that OSHA and other organizations should not be allowed to have any say over the safety of employees because that would be dictating something to the private business owner as well.
    FWIW- I think I should be allowed to carry ANYWHERE as I do so with a permit and that permit requires that I be a law abiding citizen or lose my permit. Some exceptions such as courthouses, military bases, and such of course. I see the liability of the business owner being much higher in regard to the chance of me being hurt in a robbery or other such violent incident and then suing the business owner for failure to provide adequate protection than the liability of a responsible, law abiding person legally carrying a firearm for personal protection.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Now BBG,
    Will this state law trump the Fed Homeland law I broke in this thread??? http://retrievertraining.net/forums/...ad.php?t=21870 I did not know you cannot have a gun in the truck on the Fed's lot, how about that??
    KNB
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Now BBG,
    Will this state law trump the Fed Homeland law I broke in this thread??? http://retrievertraining.net/forums/...ad.php?t=21870 I did not know you cannot have a gun in the truck on the Fed's lot, how about that??
    KNB
    Not sure, but this is from that thread

18 U.S.C. §930 Possession of Firearms and Dangerous Weapons in Federal Facilities

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to –
    (1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United
    States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or
    supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
    (2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or
    (3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

I would assume that number 3, the lawful carrying of firearms…or other lawful purposes should apply. Depending on carry laws in your state, I would guess that a concealed carry permit constitutes the “lawful carrying of firearms” for the “lawful purpose” or self protection. Kind of a questionable issue and certainly one that you may be better off not challenging, remember you can beat the wrap but you can’t beat the ride, or in your case the tow truck. I personally don’t think the SS office qualifies as a high security facility, but again I would have no problem not being allowed to carry in a courthouse, or military base for security reasons, but other Federal buildings should be no different than anywhere else. Doesn’t banning weapons on Federal property go against the intent of the right of the people to keep and bare arms, I mean wasn’t it specifically meant to keep the government from getting out of control?
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Steve
    I suppose you could look at it as dictating the policy of the business owner, OR you can look at it as upholding the individuals right as guaranteed in the second amendment. Nothing in this says you can take your gun into a private business, just that you can keep YOUR LEGAL weapon in YOUR vehicle. Following your logic you would also then be saying that an employer has the right to prohibit free speech or freedom of religion because the government should not dictate what a private business owner does. I suppose that OSHA and other organizations should not be allowed to have any say over the safety of employees because that would be dictating something to the private business owner as well.
    FWIW- I think I should be allowed to carry ANYWHERE as I do so with a permit and that permit requires that I be a law abiding citizen or lose my permit. Some exceptions such as courthouses, military bases, and such of course. I see the liability of the business owner being much higher in regard to the chance of me being hurt in a robbery or other such violent incident and then suing the business owner for failure to provide adequate protection than the liability of a responsible, law abiding person legally carrying a firearm for personal protection.
    The 2nd amendment is specific a specific prohibition on Congress passing laws, it does not address private individuals. If a business owner decides that he doesn't want firearms on his property, it is his right to prohibit them. I don't personally feel this way and wouldn't care if people carried weapons in their vehicles. And yes, employers already have the right to prohibit free speech.

I'm all for eliminating all the silly laws that are imposed on business. The net result of these laws is the formation of larger corporations because multiple small compaines can't handle the overhead of compliance.
    Kelly, Weis, Willingham, & Davies

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The 2nd amendment is specific a specific prohibition on Congress passing laws, it does not address private individuals. If a business owner decides that he doesn't want firearms on his property, it is his right to prohibit them. I don't personally feel this way and wouldn't care if people carried weapons in their vehicles. And yes, employers already have the right to prohibit free speech.

I'm all for eliminating all the silly laws that are imposed on business. The net result of these laws is the formation of larger corporations because multiple small compaines can't handle the overhead of compliance.
    Just out of curiosity could you direct me to where the business owner has the RIGHT to prohibit free speech, religion, or any other inalienable rights guaranteed us by the Bill of Rights? So you are saying that the rights of a company trump the entire population’s rights as a whole? One would have to assume you are implying that a business is somehow given more rights than the individual. I can also tell you that one of the deciding factors in the passing of this bill in Florida was that it was determined that what you are saying is in fact not true and that the individuals rights are guaranteed and that the business has no place infringing upon those rights.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Just out of curiosity could you direct me to where the business owner has the RIGHT to prohibit free speech, religion, or any other inalienable rights guaranteed us by the Bill of Rights? So you are saying that the rights of a company trump the entire population’s rights as a whole? One would have to assume you are implying that a business is somehow given more rights than the individual. I can also tell you that one of the deciding factors in the passing of this bill in Florida was that it was determined that what you are saying is in fact not true and that the individuals rights are guaranteed and that the business has no place infringing upon those rights.

You have the right to say whatever you want. And they have the right to continue your employment, or not, based on what you say.